[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 3/9-3/15

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Mar 8 21:16:32 PST 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 3/9/06-3/15/06

NEWS:
  - 3/1: Battle for School Board Taking Shape
(http://sfexaminer.com/articles/2006/03/02/news/
20060302_ne05_school.txt)
  - 3/1: Most Troops Want Swift US Pull-Out from Iraq
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1454)
  - 3/2: Newsom Approval Rating Plummets in New Poll
(http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=2995)
  - 3/3: Campus military recruiters assailed in Marin
(http://marinij.com/fastsearchresults/ci_3566661)
  - 3/4: Vermont City Electing Mayor Via Instant Runoff
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/03/04/politics/
p095831S61.DTL)
  - 3/5: Will We Ever Vote For Who We Want? Democrats Block IRV in
Maryland (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/3/5/163227/4518)
  - 3/7: Greens Vow to Defend Reproductive Rights After SD Bill
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1458)
  - 3/8: Bayview-Hunters Point Fights Redevelopment

EVENTS:
  - 3/15: SF Green Party Primary Endorsement Forum
  - 3/17: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening of Shiva Pakdel’s
Work
  - 3/17: SAVE THE DATE: Party for Aimee Allison’s Campaign Oakland City
Council District 2
  - 3/18: Stop the War in Iraq: Global Day of Action
  - 3/19: Green Party Candidate Training
  - 3/22: Animal Advocacy Working Group
  - 3/29: SAVE THE DATE: Green Party Bash at Studio Z. No details yet,
but stay tuned for them!
  - 3/30: SAVE THE DATE: San Francisco's Annual Political Trivia Contest

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Filing Period for County Council Candidates 2/13-3/10 (for details,
see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1435)
  - 2006 General Membership Survey

IN EVERY ISSUE:
  - Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Democrats Vow Not To Give Up Hopelessness
(http://www.theonion.com/content/node/45793)

NEWS:

3/8: Bayview-Hunters Point Fights Redevelopment:

- How to Challenge the BVHP Redevelopment Project EIR, by Green Party
Activist Ahimsa Porter Sumchai, M.D.
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1455)
- Bayview-Hunters Point Turns Out in Force Against Redevelopmen
(http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=3017#more)
- Where is the movement when you need it? by Ebony Colbert
(http://www.sfbayview.com/021506/themovement021506.shtml)
- Eviction notice served on Bayview Hunters Point by Willie Ratcliff
(http://www.sfbayview.com/020806/evictionnotice020806.shtml)
- Stop Evictions in Bayview-Hunters' Point by Tommi Avicolli
Mecca(http://www.indybay.org/news/2006/02/1802227.php)

==============================

EVENTS:

3/15: SF Green Party Primary Endorsement Forum

WHEN:
Wednesday, March 15th
7:30PM-10:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
This is your chance to meet the candidates running for office in the
Green Party Primary election (June 6, 2006).

Candidates filed for office this June include:

Statewide Constitutional Offices:
- Peter Camejo Governor
- Donna Warren, Lt. Governor
- Forrest Hill, Secretary of State
- Michael Wyman, Attorney General
- Laura Wells, Controller
- Mehul Thakker, Treasurer
- Sarah Knoop, Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Larry Cafiero, Insurance Commissioner

Regional Races:
- Kristine Keefer, Congress, District 8
- Robert Barry Hermanson, Assembly, District 12

and a contested primary for US Senate:
- Todd Chretien
- Tian Harter
- Kent Mesplay

---------

3/17: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening of Shiva Pakdel’s Work

WHEN:
Friday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day)
5:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, Room 282

DETAILS:
Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi hosts the monthly Third Friday’s Art
Reception in his City Hall office, Room 282. In honor of International
Women’s Day and the Norouz (Persian New Year) celebration taking place
on March 20, this month’s featured artist is Shiva Pakdel.

For Shiva Pakdel, her upbringing in Abadan Iran combined the modern,
Western lifestyle of one of Iran’s most liberal cities along with the
rich history and traditions of her land.  Her continued enthusiasm and
interest in art over the past 25 years has combined her love of art,
culture, and history from both the East and West.

Shiva Pakdel combines a broad range of mediums including oils,
acrylics, paper, beads, collage, and prints.  Some of her works include
collages of mid 19th and 20th century antique stamps from Iran, a
personal series of images, poetry, photographs and portraits entitled
“Iran On My Mind”, and a series of oil and acrylic faces painted on
wood.  By combining historical elements and placing them in a
contemporary format, her work is a beautiful blend of modern pieces
with traditional influences.

Her works can be viewed online at www.shivapakdel.com

---------

3/17: SAVE THE DATE: Party for Aimee Allison’s Campaign Oakland City
Council District 2

WHEN:
Friday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day) Wear your Green!
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
The home of Vicki Leidner and John Radogno
770 Shotwell St/22nd St
San Francisco, CA 94110

CONTRIBUTIONS:
Minimum gift of $25 per person requested
Maximum gift: $600 per person
(Personal checks only, no corporate contributions accepted)
Please make checks payable to: Neighbors for Aimee Allison

DETAILS:
We hope you will bring your friends and family to join us!

Hosted by:
- Mark Sanchez, San Francisco School Board Commissioner*
- Nancy Mancias, CODEPINK San Francisco Coordinator*
- Vicki Leidner, counter-recruitment activist with CODEPINK*, committee
for College Not Combat*, FIG

Co-hosts include:
- Tom Ammiano, San Francisco Supervisor*
- Medea Benjamin, Co-Founder CODEPINK*
- June Brashares, Global Exchange*
- Carol Brouillet, Deception Dollars, 9-11 Truth activist*
- David Campos, San Francisco Police Commissioner*
- Elizabeth Creely, BACORR*
- Chris Daly, San Francisco Supervisor*
- Michael Goldstein, SFPO Board*, former president Milk Club*
- Marie Harrison, Greenaction*
- Krissy Keefer, Mission Dance
- Jane Kim, CCDC*
- Whitney Leigh, Gonzalez and Leigh LLP
- Sarah Lipson, San Francisco School Board Commissioner*
- Ross Mirkarimi, San Francisco Supervisor*
- Christina Olague, San Francisco Planning Commission*

Photography Exhibit Courtesy Happy/L.A. Hyder

evite and more details to follow very soon
*for identification purposes only

---------

3/18: Stop the War in Iraq: Global Day of Action

WHEN:
Saturday, March 18th
Starts 11:00AM

WHERE:
Civic Center, at Grove and Larkin Streets (near Civic Center BART),
next to City Hall

DETAILS:
 From Iraq to New Orleans, Fund People’s Needs Not the War Machine!

This is the third anniversary of the United States' invasion of Iraq,
and hence this rally. Thousands will gather to protest the United
States' occupation of Iraq, and other countries such as Haiti,
Palestine, Afghanistan, and the Phillipines. They will also protest
threats against Iran, Syria, Venezuela, and North Korea, military
recruiters in schools and communities, neglect of Katrina survivors,
and defend civil rights for labor, immigrants, and everyone else.

---------

3/19: Green Party Candidate Training

WHEN:
Sunrday, March 19th
Starts 11:00AM

WHERE:
215 Water Street, Petaluma, California

RSVP:
Advance RSVP is strongly encouraged as space is limited.  For more
information about
the program, contact Warner Bloomberg (408) 295-9353 wsb3attyca at aol.com
or
Bill Patterson (707) 838-3079  billpatterson at earthlink.net.  For
information about
the news conference, contact Cres Velluci (916) 996-9170
civillib at cwnet.com.

DETAILS:
The Green Party of California Campaigns and Candidates Working Group,
Media Committee and Sonoma County Greens present a series of discussions
about being a candidate for elected office.

This program is intended to benefit persons who are thinking about being
a candidate for local office or helping in an election campaign but who
have  not had previous experience.  The focus will be “campaign basics”.

Presentations will be led by Green Party activists, including present
or former elected officials.

A noontime news conference for current Green Party candidates also is
planned.

---------

3/22: Animal Advocacy Working Group

WHEN:
Thursday, March 22
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly meeting of the Animal Advocacy Working Group. We will discuss
animal issues in San Francisco.

For more information, email Rosalind Lord at rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

3/30: SAVE THE DATE: San Francisco's Annual Political Trivia Contest

WHEN:
Thursday, March 30th
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
Cafe Royale, 800 Post Street, San Francisco

DETAILS:
With invited guests Supervisors Ross Mirkarimi Jake McGoldrick, Tom
Ammiano and Chris Daly as well as School Board Commissioners Mark
Sanchez and Eric Mar.

This is a fundraiser for the Harvey Milk LBGT Democratic Club, one of
only two Democratic clubs who will endorse Greens in nonpartisan races
and who recently had its charter threatened for endorsing Matt Gonzalez
for Mayor and other elected Greens.  $5 per person or $20 for a team of
four or more.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Thanks to All Who Made A Green Party for Peace @Studio Z a Success!

Dear Fellow Greens and Green-Identifiers:

We had a very enjoyable and successful event on January 26 at Studio Z.
  We look forward to doing more events there and elsewhere and hope that
you continue to participate in our efforts to spread the Green message.
  Thanks for your support!

---------

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Herman of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

---------

2006 General Membership Survey

The County Council is conducting a survey of San Francisco Green Party
members to get your opinion on several issues to help us plan and set
goals for the party in 2006.  Results will be discussed at a future
General Meeting.  You can get a copy of the survey online at the
following link, and respond to us by email:

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1464

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html