[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 3/16-3/23

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Mar 15 23:50:20 PST 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 3/16/06-3/23/06

NEWS:
  - 3/1: Enough of the D.C. Dems, By Molly Ivins
(http://progressive.org/mag_ivins0306)
  - 3/2: Katrina Survivors Have a Right to Return Home
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1459)
  - 3/9: Green Party says it will stand in solidarity with South Central
community farmers (http://www.cagreens.org/press/pr060309.htm)
  - 3/6: VIDEO: Cindy Sheehan and Medea Benjamin Arrested in Front of
the UN (http://www.truthout.org/multimedia.htm)
  - 3/10: Green Party of California backs measure to reform ‘3 Strikes'
law (http://www.cagreens.org/press/pr060310.htm)
  - 3/13: Green senate candidate shuts down Democratic gubenatorial
fundraiser (http://www.nysun.com/article/29002)
  - 3/13: George Clooney Faults Democrats on Iraq War
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/03/13/
entertainment/e094757S51.DTL&hw=George+Clooney&sn=001&sc=1000)

EVENTS:
  - 3/17: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening of Shiva Pakdel’s
Work
  - 3/17: Episode Two of Car-Free Talk, on Channel 29
  - 3/17: Party for Aimee Allison’s Campaign Oakland City Council
District 2
  - 3/18: Rally Against War in Iraq: Join the Million Votes for Peace
Contingent!
  - 3/19: Green Party Candidate Training
  - 3/21: Platform Discussion of Housing and Land Use Policies
  - 3/22: Special General Meeting - Endorsements
  - 3/26: Matt Gonzalez Hosts Green Party US Senate Candidate Todd
Chretien Fundraiser
  - 3/29: SAVE THE DATE: Green Party Bash at Studio Z. No details yet,
but stay tuned for them!
  - 3/30: SAVE THE DATE: San Francisco's Annual Political Trivia Contest
  -  4/1: Stand Up! Stand Out! Free Leadership Training Session for Women
  -  4/8: Auctioning Off Downtown! San Francisco People's Organization
Art Auction & Party

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - 2006 General Membership Survey

IN EVERY ISSUE:
  - Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Dick Cheney School of Quailhunting
(http://www.quailhuntingschool.com/flash.php)

EVENTS:

3/17: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening of Shiva Pakdel’s Work

WHEN:
Friday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day)
5:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, Room 282

DETAILS:
Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi hosts the monthly Third Friday’s Art
Reception in his City Hall office, Room 282. In honor of International
Women’s Day and the Norouz (Persian New Year) celebration taking place
on March 20, this month’s featured artist is Shiva Pakdel.

For Shiva Pakdel, her upbringing in Abadan Iran combined the modern,
Western lifestyle of one of Iran’s most liberal cities along with the
rich history and traditions of her land.  Her continued enthusiasm and
interest in art over the past 25 years has combined her love of art,
culture, and history from both the East and West.

Shiva Pakdel combines a broad range of mediums including oils,
acrylics, paper, beads, collage, and prints.  Some of her works include
collages of mid 19th and 20th century antique stamps from Iran, a
personal series of images, poetry, photographs and portraits entitled
“Iran On My Mind”, and a series of oil and acrylic faces painted on
wood.  By combining historical elements and placing them in a
contemporary format, her work is a beautiful blend of modern pieces
with traditional influences.

Her works can be viewed online at www.shivapakdel.com

---------

3/17: Episode Two of Car-Free Talk, on Channel 29

WHEN:
Friday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day) Wear your Green!
Starts 7:30PM

WHERE:
In front of your TV
Channel 29, San Francisco's public access station

DETAILS:
The second episode of Car-Free Talk with host Sue Vaughan
and guest Tom Radulovich, will air on Friday, March 17, at
7:30 p.m.  Radulovich, executive director of Transportation
for a Livable City and BART director, discusses parking
reform legislation for downtown San Francisco.

---------

3/17: Party for Aimee Allison’s Campaign Oakland City Council District 2

WHEN:
Friday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day) Wear your Green!
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
The home of Vicki Leidner and John Radogno
770 Shotwell St/22nd St
San Francisco, CA 94110

CONTRIBUTIONS:
Minimum gift of $25 per person requested
Maximum gift: $600 per person
(Personal checks only, no corporate contributions accepted)
Please make checks payable to: Neighbors for Aimee Allison

DETAILS:
We hope you will bring your friends and family to join us!

Hosted by:
- Mark Sanchez, San Francisco School Board Commissioner*
- Nancy Mancias, CODEPINK San Francisco Coordinator*
- Vicki Leidner, counter-recruitment activist with CODEPINK*, committee
for College Not Combat*, FIG

Co-hosts include:
- Tom Ammiano, San Francisco Supervisor*
- Medea Benjamin, Co-Founder CODEPINK*
- June Brashares, Global Exchange*
- Carol Brouillet, Deception Dollars, 9-11 Truth activist*
- David Campos, San Francisco Police Commissioner*
- Elizabeth Creely, BACORR*
- Chris Daly, San Francisco Supervisor*
- Michael Goldstein, SFPO Board*, former president Milk Club*
- Marie Harrison, Greenaction*
- Krissy Keefer, Mission Dance
- Jane Kim, CCDC*
- Whitney Leigh, Gonzalez and Leigh LLP
- Sarah Lipson, San Francisco School Board Commissioner*
- Ross Mirkarimi, San Francisco Supervisor*
- Christina Olague, San Francisco Planning Commission*

Photography Exhibit Courtesy Happy/L.A. Hyder

evite and more details to follow very soon
*for identification purposes only

---------

3/18: Rally Against War in Iraq: Join the Million Votes for Peace
Contingent!

WHEN:
Saturday, March 18th
11:00AM

WHERE:
Civic Center, corner of Polk and Grove, near City Hall

CONTACT:
415-412-4540 for more info or go to www.Todd4Senate.org

DETAILS:
March with Peter Camejo, Aimee Allison, Todd Chretien, Forrest Hill,
Mike Wyman, Mehul Thakker, and more!

Let San Francisco see that the Green Party is a force in the anti-war
movement and we want all the US troops home now!

The march is sponsored by the Million Votes for Peace slate (which does
not include all Green candidates), but we are encouraging folks to join
the march as Greens, regardless of endorsement. You could put this
disclaimer on the bottom of the notice.

---------

3/19: Green Party Candidate Training

WHEN:
Sunday, March 19th
Starts 11:00AM

WHERE:
215 Water Street, Petaluma, California

RSVP:
Advance RSVP is strongly encouraged as space is limited.  For more
information about
the program, contact Warner Bloomberg (408) 295-9353 wsb3attyca at aol.com
or
Bill Patterson (707) 838-3079  billpatterson at earthlink.net.  For
information about
the news conference, contact Cres Velluci (916) 996-9170
civillib at cwnet.com.

DETAILS:
The Green Party of California Campaigns and Candidates Working Group,
Media Committee and Sonoma County Greens present a series of discussions
about being a candidate for elected office.

This program is intended to benefit persons who are thinking about being
a candidate for local office or helping in an election campaign but who
have  not had previous experience.  The focus will be “campaign basics”.

Presentations will be led by Green Party activists, including present
or former elected officials.

A noontime news conference for current Green Party candidates also is
planned.

---------

3/21: Platform Discussion of Housing and Land Use Policies

WHEN:
Tuesday, March 21
7:30PM-12:00AM

WHERE:
Muddy Waters Cafe, Valencia St snd 16th St, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join an informal meeting at Muddy Waters cafe (Valencia St snd 16th St)
to discuss topics to include in the SF Green Party housing and land use
platform, propose draft submisisons, and debate the relative merits of
SFGP Housing and Land Use policy positions.

Proposed topics for tonight's discussion groups include:

- Increasing public resources for construction and financing of new
housing development; and

- Designing housing developments that meet the needs of entire range of
household types and income levels.

- Show up and get your ideas into the Green Party's housing and land
use platfrom, and help start a dialogue with others intersted in these
issues.

---------

3/22: Special General Meeting - Endorsements

WHEN:
Wednesday, March 22
7:30 - 7:45: Check in, introductions, explanation of consensus process.
7:45PM-9:20PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
This is the second meeting we will hold to consider candidate
endorsements for the June 6 primary election (ballot initiatives will
be endorsed at our April General Meeting). Some endorsement decisions
may have been made at the forum on the previous week, March 15, but any
decision we did not have time to consider at that meeting will be made
this week.

Agenda: Emmie and Sue Vaughan (?) facilitating

Announcements will be written on the board if time is short.

---------

3/26: Matt Gonzalez Hosts Green Party US Senate Candidate Todd Chretien
Fundraiser

WHEN:
Sunday, March 26
6:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
The office of Gonzalez & Leigh LLP, 2 Shaw Alley, 3rd Floor, San
Francisco, CA 94105

PHONE:
415.512.2000

DETAILS:
Matt Gonzalez cordially invites you to attend a fundraiser for Todd
Chretien, Green Party candidate for U.S. Senate, who is challenging
pro-war democrat Senator Dianne Feinstein.

"Feinstein is not part of the movement against the war, she makes
President Bush’s war possible. The Republican Party is so happy with
Sen. Feinstein’s support of President Bush that they do not intend to
run a serious candidate against her in November 2006. But if the
pro-war Republican Party will not challenge Sen. Feinstein, then the
anti-war Green Party will, and I will appeal to all people to turn this
Senate election into a referendum on the war. If you want to stop the
deaths of more young American soldiers, stop the killing of tens of
thousands of Iraqis and transfer the $250 billion a year we are
spending to occupy Iraq into a fund to rebuild New Orleans, refurbish
our school system, and provide health insurance for every American,
then you have no reason to vote for Sen. Feinstein and every reason to
vote for me." - 15 December 2005, Campaign launch statement by Todd
Chretien

For more information about Tood Chretien, see
http://www.todd4senate.org/

---------

3/30: SAVE THE DATE: San Francisco's Annual Political Trivia Contest

WHEN:
Thursday, March 30th
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
Cafe Royale, 800 Post Street, San Francisco

DETAILS:
With invited guests Supervisors Ross Mirkarimi Jake McGoldrick, Tom
Ammiano and Chris Daly as well as School Board Commissioners Mark
Sanchez and Eric Mar.

This is a fundraiser for the Harvey Milk LBGT Democratic Club, one of
only two Democratic clubs who will endorse Greens in nonpartisan races
and who recently had its charter threatened for endorsing Matt Gonzalez
for Mayor and other elected Greens.  $5 per person or $20 for a team of
four or more.

---------

4/1: Stand Up! Stand Out! Free Leadership Training Session for Women

WHEN:
Saturday, April 1st
10:00AM-2:00PM

WHERE:
Bayview Hunters Point YMCA, 1601 Lane Street, San Francisco, CA 94124
Bayview Hunters Point YMCA is wheelchair accessible

COST:
Free of charge, lunch & childcare provided

LUNCH AND CHILDCARE:
Will be provided to registered participants.

RSVP:
Open to Public via RSVP to nwpcsf at yahoo.com or
415-931-4364

CONTACT:
Alix Rosenthal, President
National Women’s Political Caucus - San Francisco
Tel: 415-377-6722
nwpcsf at yahoo.com

DETAILS:
“Stand Up! Stand Out!” is a free leadership training program aimed at
empowering women from Bayview Hunters Point by helping them effect
change in their neighborhood and in their city.

This one-day skill-building workshop is intended to begin teaching
women how to organize around community issues and best approach local
officials.

As NWPC-SF President Alix Rosenthal said: “Our core mission is to get
more women involved in politics. We can work towards this goal by
helping to demystify the processes by which local governments make the
decisions that most directly affect women and their communities.”

The program will kick off with an introductory greeting from S.F.
Supervisor Sophie Maxwell, followed by a panel of guest speakers
including local commissioners Angelo King (Bayview Hunters Point
Project Area Committee, Environmental Commission), and Willie Kennedy
(Southeast Community Facilities Commission). The session will finish
with smaller, interactive group discussions facilitated by grass roots
organizers, which will focus on strategies and skill building.

The National Women's Political Caucus is a multicultural,
intergenerational, and multi-issue grassroots organization dedicated to
increasing women’s participation in the political process. The San
Francisco NWPC caucus has been in existence since 1973, working hard
locally in support of the NWPC mission: to recruit, train and support
pro-choice women candidates for elected and appointed offices at all
levels of government.

For more information about the San Francisco NWPC caucus, see
http://www.nwpc-sf.org/

---------

4/8: Auctioning Off Downtown! San Francisco People's Organization Art
Auction & Party

WHEN:
Saturday, April 8th
Doors open at 7:30 pm
Silent Auction 7:30 – 10:00 pm
Live Auction with Auctioneer Matt Gonzalez at 9:30 pm

WHERE:
111 Minna, San Francisco

TICKETS:
$10-$20, or pay what you can
Advance Tickets available at Ticketweb.com

DETAILS:
Music by Goh Nakamura, Dan Johnson, DJ VNA, Olga Salamanca, & judy b.

Poetry reading by SF Poet Laureate Jack Hirschman

Work-in-Progress Film screening of “For Real Bayview” by Markus
Darkraven

Artists: Chris Corales, Ben Baumgartner, Monique Deschaines, Mark
Erlinger, Lawrence Ferlenghetti, Ana Fernandez, Pam Pam Gaddies, Albert
Herter, Blake Herod, Jack Hirschman, Martha Hubert, Jamie Knight, Luna
Media, Robin Margerin, Siri Margerin, Valerie Mih, Theresa Morris,
Keady Phelan, Lucho Pozo, Michael Rauner, Jane Reed, Albert Reyes,
Steve Richards, Janet Rosen, Augusta Talbot, Amy Trachtenberg, Debra
Walker, Kelly Yount, Arngunnur Yr, & MORE…

Curators: Bruno Mauro, Siri Margerin and Catherine Rauschuber

Honorary Hosts: Chris Daly, Matt Gonzalez, Jack Hirschman, Mesha
Irazarry, Krissy Keefer, Ross Mirkarimi, & Debra Walker

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Herman of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html