[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 3/24-3/40

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Mar 22 23:13:27 PST 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 3/24/06-3/30/06

NEWS:
  - 3/10: Green Party Of California Backs Measure To Reform ‘3 Strikes'
Law (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1461)
  - 3/20: Green Party candidates call for change
(http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060320/
NEWS/603200330/1033/NEWS01)
  - 3/21: Is Nancy Pelosi Wrong Leader for Dems? by Randy
Shaw (http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=3065#more)
  - 3/21: Resolution Condemning Upcoming "Battlecry for a Generation"
Rally by Tom Ammiano, co-sponsored by Supervisor Chris Daly
  - 3/22: Why spending taxpayer dollars on fancy dinners and hotel rooms
is "volunteering" (http://www.sfbg.com/40/25/x_oped.html)

EVENTS:
  - 3/24: Protest Christian Right Wing Organization "Battlecry for a
Generation"
  - 3/26: Matt Gonzalez Hosts Green Party US Senate Candidate Todd
Chretien Fundraiser
  - 3/27-28: FILM: Venezuela from Below!
  - 3/29: Green Party Bash at Studio Z
  - 3/30: SAVE THE DATE: San Francisco's Annual Political Trivia Contest
  -  4/1: Stand Up! Stand Out! Free Leadership Training Session for Women
  -  4/8: Auctioning Off Downtown! San Francisco People's Organization
Art Auction & Party

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

IN EVERY ISSUE:
  - Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
  - Take Action!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Daily Show: Hackett Gets a DLC Makeover
(file:///private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/AOLTemp.html)

WHEREAS, It is an act of provocation when a right-wing Christian
fundamentalist group brings their anti-gay and anti-choice agenda of
intolerance to the steps of San Francisco’s City Hall; and

WHEREAS, It is unfortunate and alarming that those who are against
reproductive and homosexual rights, and who are anti-gay as well as
anti-choice, aim to negatively influence the politics of America’s most
tolerant and progressive city; and,

WHEREAS, The fact that the fringe group “Battlecry for a Generation”
will rally on the front steps of City Hall should be taken by no one as
an official or semi-official sanctioning of their rally nor of their
message by the elected officials of San Francisco; and

WHEREAS, We hope, nevertheless, that the out of town protesters will
leave our fair city filled with slightly less hatred; now, therefore,
be it

RESOLVED, That the Board of Supervisors condemns the upcoming rally to
be held by anti-abortion groups in front of City Hall on Friday, March
24, 2006.

==============================

EVENTS:

3/24: Protest Christian Right Wing Organization "Battlecry for a
Generation"

WHEN:
Friday, March 24
2:30PM-5:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, next to Civic
Center

DETAILS:
"Battlecry for a Generation," a Christian right-wing organization, will
hold a rally at City Hall to show the religious right's stern
disapproval of gay rights on the very steps where gay marriage was made
legal in San Francisco from 2:30PM to 4:00PM.

Then they will have a weekend of fun including speakers and music at
AT&T Park from March 24, 2006 06:55PM to March 25, 2006 10:45PM
(address:24 Willie Mays Plaza, San Francisco, CA 94107)

Stop theocratic fascism, and the right-wing agenda to encourage
homophobia, misogyny, blatant disregard for scientific knowledge, and
dumbing minds down in teenagers!

For more information, see www.battlecry.com/sanfrancisco.php

---------

3/26: Matt Gonzalez Hosts Green Party US Senate Candidate Todd Chretien
Fundraiser

WHEN:
Sunday, March 26
6:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
The office of Gonzalez & Leigh LLP, 2 Shaw Alley, 3rd Floor, San
Francisco, CA 94105

PHONE:
415.512.2000

DETAILS:
Matt Gonzalez cordially invites you to attend a fundraiser for Todd
Chretien, Green Party candidate for U.S. Senate, who is challenging
pro-war democrat Senator Dianne Feinstein.

"Feinstein is not part of the movement against the war, she makes
President Bush’s war possible. The Republican Party is so happy with
Sen. Feinstein’s support of President Bush that they do not intend to
run a serious candidate against her in November 2006. But if the
pro-war Republican Party will not challenge Sen. Feinstein, then the
anti-war Green Party will, and I will appeal to all people to turn this
Senate election into a referendum on the war. If you want to stop the
deaths of more young American soldiers, stop the killing of tens of
thousands of Iraqis and transfer the $250 billion a year we are
spending to occupy Iraq into a fund to rebuild New Orleans, refurbish
our school system, and provide health insurance for every American,
then you have no reason to vote for Sen. Feinstein and every reason to
vote for me." - 15 December 2005, Campaign launch statement by Todd
Chretien

For more information about Tood Chretien, see
http://www.todd4senate.org/

Editor's note: The SF Green Party has not made an endorsement in the US
Senate Primary race. There are three candidates running for the Green
Party's nomination: Tian Harter (http://tianharter.org), Todd Chretien
(www.todd4senate.org) and Kent Mesplay. We will include   outreach for
all three candidates events in our newsletter.

---------

3/27: FILM: Venezuela from Below!

WHEN and WHERE:

Monday, March 27
Starts 7:00PM
New College Theater, 777 Valencia Street, near 19th Ave, San Francisco
Panelists will be available in San Francisco only

Tuesday, March 28
Starts 7:00PM
Fellowship of Humanity, 390 27th Street at Broadway, Oakland

DONATION:
$5.00 requested
No one turned away due to a lack of funds

INFORMATION:
510-642-0808 or www.bampfa.berkeley.edu
UC Berkeley and Pacific Film Archive, 2626 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA

DETAILS:
The Labor Video Project and LaborFest will be screening " Venezuela
from Below!" a film by Oliver Ressler and Dario Azzellini. People from
Venezuelan grassroots organizations speak about building a new
Venezuela, and their ideas and expectations in the search for a social
and economic model beyond neo-liberalism.

After movie, there will be a discussion of it and Azzellini and
Ressler's new video project about the ongoing movement towards
worker-controlled enterprises in Venezuela by these filmmakers and
MATRIX Curator Chris Gilbert.

---------

Wednesday, March 29, 2006
8:00PM-2:00AM

WHERE:
Studio Z, 314 11th Street at Folsom, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Rock/Pop event. For more information see
http://www.studioz.tv/events/green032906

---------

4/1: Stand Up! Stand Out! Free Leadership Training Session for Women

WHEN:
Saturday, April 1st
10:00AM-2:00PM

WHERE:
Bayview Hunters Point YMCA, 1601 Lane Street, San Francisco, CA 94124
Bayview Hunters Point YMCA is wheelchair accessible

COST:
Free of charge, lunch & childcare provided

LUNCH AND CHILDCARE:
Will be provided to registered participants.

RSVP:
Open to Public via RSVP to nwpcsf at yahoo.com or
415-931-4364

CONTACT:
Alix Rosenthal, President
National Women’s Political Caucus - San Francisco
Tel: 415-377-6722
nwpcsf at yahoo.com

DETAILS:
“Stand Up! Stand Out!” is a free leadership training program aimed at
empowering women from Bayview Hunters Point by helping them effect
change in their neighborhood and in their city.

This one-day skill-building workshop is intended to begin teaching
women how to organize around community issues and best approach local
officials.

As NWPC-SF President Alix Rosenthal said: “Our core mission is to get
more women involved in politics. We can work towards this goal by
helping to demystify the processes by which local governments make the
decisions that most directly affect women and their communities.”

The program will kick off with an introductory greeting from S.F.
Supervisor Sophie Maxwell, followed by a panel of guest speakers
including local commissioners Angelo King (Bayview Hunters Point
Project Area Committee, Environmental Commission), and Willie Kennedy
(Southeast Community Facilities Commission). The session will finish
with smaller, interactive group discussions facilitated by grass roots
organizers, which will focus on strategies and skill building.

The National Women's Political Caucus is a multicultural,
intergenerational, and multi-issue grassroots organization dedicated to
increasing women’s participation in the political process. The San
Francisco NWPC caucus has been in existence since 1973, working hard
locally in support of the NWPC mission: to recruit, train and support
pro-choice women candidates for elected and appointed offices at all
levels of government.

For more information about the San Francisco NWPC caucus, see
http://www.nwpc-sf.org/

---------

4/8: Auctioning Off Downtown! San Francisco People's Organization Art
Auction & Party

WHEN:
Saturday, April 8th
Doors open at 7:30 pm
Silent Auction 7:30 – 10:00 pm
Live Auction with Auctioneer Matt Gonzalez at 9:30 pm

WHERE:
111 Minna, San Francisco

TICKETS:
$10-$20, or pay what you can
Advance Tickets available at Ticketweb.com

DETAILS:
Music by Goh Nakamura, Dan Johnson, DJ VNA, Olga Salamanca, & judy b.

Poetry reading by SF Poet Laureate Jack Hirschman

Work-in-Progress Film screening of “For Real Bayview” by Markus
Darkraven

Artists: Chris Corales, Ben Baumgartner, Monique Deschaines, Mark
Erlinger, Lawrence Ferlenghetti, Ana Fernandez, Pam Pam Gaddies, Albert
Herter, Blake Herod, Jack Hirschman, Martha Hubert, Jamie Knight, Luna
Media, Robin Margerin, Siri Margerin, Valerie Mih, Theresa Morris,
Keady Phelan, Lucho Pozo, Michael Rauner, Jane Reed, Albert Reyes,
Steve Richards, Janet Rosen, Augusta Talbot, Amy Trachtenberg, Debra
Walker, Kelly Yount, Arngunnur Yr, & MORE…

Curators: Bruno Mauro, Siri Margerin and Catherine Rauschuber

Honorary Hosts: Chris Daly, Matt Gonzalez, Jack Hirschman, Mesha
Irazarry, Krissy Keefer, Ross Mirkarimi, & Debra Walker

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Herman of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html