[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 5/19-5/25

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu May 18 00:17:27 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 5/19/06-5/25/06

NEWS:
  - 5/17: Krissy Keefer Speaks! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=PHcOsU_hFbY)
  - 5/17: SF Bay Guardian Endorses Aimee Allison!
(http://www.sfbg.com/endorsements/33end-oakland.html)
  - 5/17: SFBG endorses Aimee Allison For District two
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1487)
  - 5/5: Louisiana And California Committees Pass Bill For Nationwide
Election Of The President
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1485)

EVENTS:
This week:
  - 5/19: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening Featuring
Photography of Senior PhotoShop Students
Next week:
  - 5/24: Sing Out for a Living Wage, Cantando para un Salario Digno
  - 5/24: Something Fun at the Green Party Forum!!! Join the medley of
politics and performance
Save the dateL
  - 6/6: Housing and Land Use Working Group meeting

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Calling White Activists to Support Immigrant Justice!
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

IN EVERY ISSUE:
  - Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
  - Take Action!
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Billion Dollar Cheney
(http://billiondollarcheney.cf.huffingtonpost.com/)

EVENTS:

5/19: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening Featuring Photography
of Senior PhotoShop Students

WHEN:
Friday, May 19
5:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, Room 282

DETAILS:
Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi hosts the monthly Third Friday's Art
Reception in his City Hall office, Room 282.

In honor of Older Americans Month, Supervisor Mirkarimi pays tribute to
the PhotoShop students of the Western Addition Community Technology
Center (WACTC). WACTC is a non-profit organization.

Through their art and photography, Mr. Felton Cogell's PhotoShop senior
students share their talent and experience for the first time with the
greater Community of San Francisco.

---------

5/24: Sing Out for a Living Wage, Cantando para un Salario Digno

WHEN:
Wednesday, May 24
Miércoles, 24 de mayo
12:00 noon - 1:00PM

WHERE:
Civic Center side of City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, San
Francisco
Nos reuniremos en la Alcaldia en el lado del Civic Center
Lineas de MUNI #49 o 47 a McAllister o Grove, #5 o #21 a Van Ness Ave.

CONTACT, INFORMATION:
Call the Living Wage Coalition at:
Para mas información, llame al Living Wage Coalition a:
513-5393
e-mail sflivingwage at riseup.net

DETAILS:

Help raise wages for 15,000 home healthcare aides, non-profit workers,
homeless shelter workers and CalWORKs parents

Please join us in singing outside the offices of Mayor Gavin Newsom and
Board President Aaron Peskin to urge them to support the
Ammiano/McGoldrick Amendments to the Living Wage Law

Ayude a aumentar el sueldo de 15,000 trabajadores – empleados de
hospicio, empleados de instituciones de no-lucro, CalWORKs madres en
asistencia pública en transición de empleo

Por favor nos reuniremos cantar afuera la oficinas de Alcalde Gavin
Newsom y Board President Aaron Peskin para exigir que apoyen las
enmiendas Ammiano/McGoldrick para la ley de sueldos justos

---------

5/24: Something Fun at the Green Party Forum!!!  Join the medley of
politics and performance

WHEN:
Wednesday, May 24
7:00PM-2:00AM

WHERE:
Studio Z, 314 11th Street @ Folsom, San Francisco

CONTACT:
(415) 252-7666
www.StudioZ.tv

ADMISSION:
$5 to $500 Must be 21+, with ID No one turned away for lack of funds

DETAILS:
Join the medley of politics and performance with:  Barry Hermanson
(candidate for 12th Assembly district), Forrest Hill (candidate for
Secretary of State), Ross Mirkarimi (Supervisor, District 5), Mehul
Thakker (candidate for state treasurer), Medea Benjamin (Global
Exchange), Laura Wells (candidate for state controller), Diamond Dave
Whitaker (San Francisco icon of poetry and Greenism ...), Ubidube
Whitaker (Rocker and son of icon ...), Mike Wyman (candidate for state
Attorney General), Go Van Gogh (Indy rock band), Garrin Benfield (Indy
soloist)  And more...(see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1521)

---------

6/6: Housing and Land Use Working Group meeting

WHEN:
Tuesday, June 6
7:30PM-9:30AM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Tuesday's agenda includes:

Most of the evening will be spent working on the Housing platform for
San Francisco, along with discussion of the Mayor Newsome's plan to add
15,000 housing units in 5 years;

Currents Events and Legislation;

Any other topics you want to discuss;

Announcements

Everyone welcomed, Green Party member or not.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Calling White Activists to Support Immigrant Justice!

In the past month, five million people, mostly immigrants of color,
have mobilized for justice and are making history, flooding the streets
in unprecedented numbers. Meanwhile, the most visible participation by
white people is coming from the racist and right-wing leaders who are
defining and dominating the debate in the Federal government and in the
news, radio and opinion pages. Where are the voices of anti-racist
white people in this crucial moment, when the worst anti-immigrant
legislation in decades is still poised to drop?

We, white people who believe in justice and ending racism, have a
responsibility and a historic opportunity to stand with immigrant
communities and unite behind their demands. As white people, most of us
with U.S. citizenship, we call out to our white communities to take to
the streets for immigrant rights.We must demonstrate that the rightwing
racists, from the Minutemen to in the Congress, do not represent us!

Two Bay Area-based white anti-racist organizations, Catalyst Project
and the Heads Up Collective (a member organization of the Deporten a La
MigraÅ0Ñ2 Coalition primarily composed of organizations based in
working-class immigrant communities), ask you to act in solidarity with
the principles generated by the Deporten a La MigraÅ0Ñ2 Coalition,
Immigrants Fighting For Our Rights. They are:

. The land is for those who work it!
. No more displacement
. The border is hypocritical
. Unity makes us strong
. Demand dignity and equality for all immigrants
. In every neighborhood, organize!

Full text can be found at
http://www.liberationink.com/revised/navigator.php?s=2&a=deporten

If you agree with all these principles, please sign the petition at
http://www.petitiononline.com/mayday06/petition.htm

In struggle,
Catalyst Project and the Heads Up Collective
immigrantjusticesolidarity at gmail.com

Endorsed by:
Elizabeth "Betita" Martinez, Institute for Multiracial Justice
Maria Poblet, St Peters Housing Committee
Eric Mar
Eunice Cho
Sheila Chung, Bay Area Immigrant Rights Coalition
Renee Saucedo, Day Labor Program/La Raza Centro Legal
Kali Akuno, Malcolm X Grassroots Movement
(organizations for identification purposes only)

---------

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Herman of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html