[SFGP] ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR SF GREEN PARTY

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Dec 27 22:17:48 PST 2007

ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR SF GREEN PARTY: December 27, 2007

Send Announcement items to news at sfgreens.org.
Please keep items brief; submissions may be edited for length and content.
____________________

SPECIAL GREEN EVENTS:

* SF Green Party Special Endorsement Meeting: Monday, Jan. 7, 7 p.m.
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
Help determine our position on February ballot initiatives.

* Green Party Presidential Debate: Jan. 13, 2 p.m.
Herbst Theater, 401 Van Ness Ave (see Events below for more info)
Debating the issues of the day are Green Party primary candidates Jared Ball, Elaine Brown, Cynthia McKinney, Kent Mesplay and Ralph Nader.
For more information, contact John Morton, <mailto:jlm108 at yahoo.com>greendebate2008 at yahoo.com or visit <http://www.acgreens.org/debate>http://www.acgreens.org/debate.
____________________

EVENTS (San Francisco, unless otherwise noted)

* Imagine Peace 2008 - New Year's Eve Party: Dec. 31, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Wax Museum, Fisherman's Wharf,  145 Jefferson St.
Celebrate New Year's Eve with CODEPINK and Global Exchange. Tickets at
www.globalexchange.org/imaginepeace2008.

* Operation White Rose: Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2008, 7 a.m.- 9 p.m.
Join members of the White Rose Coalition, and congressional candidate/antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan, as
they call for the impeachment of George Bush and Dick Cheney during the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl
in Pasadena. http://www.bcimpeach.com/

* SF Green Party Special Endorsement Meeting: Monday, Jan. 7, 7 p.m.
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
Help determine our position on February ballot initiatives.

* Green Party Presidential Debate, Northern California: Jan. 13, 2 p.m.; $10-$25 donation at the door (sliding scale)
Herbst Theater, 401 Van Ness Ave. (opposite City Hall)
Debating the issues of the day are Green Party primary candidates Jared Ball, Elaine Brown, Cynthia McKinney, Kent Mesplay and Ralph Nader.
For more information, contact John Morton, <mailto:jlm108 at yahoo.com>greendebate2008 at yahoo.com or visit <http://www.acgreens.org/debate>http://www.acgreens.org/debate.

* Green Party General Membership Meeting:  Wednesday, Jan. 16, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/

* Reproductive Justice for All: Saturday, Jan. 19, 11 a.m.
We have the permit for Justin Herman Plaza, the same day 10,000 right wingers from the far reaches of California slither into town for their annual “Walk for LifeWest Coast.”  Let's give them a real Bay Area Welcome! We’re taking back our public space from the Religious Right! We need you to join us in sending the message that the Bay Area stands for reproductive rights, and that Roe v. Wade must be defended and expanded, especially on this, the 35th anniversary of Roe.  For more info, email BACORR at gmail.com.

* Conference on Global Warming:  Wednesday, Jan. 30, 9 am to 9 pm & Thursday, Jan. 31, 9 am to 6 pm
SFSU, 1600 Holloway Ave, San Francisco, Jack Adams Hall
This free, two-day event features world class speakers, such as Van Jones, expert panels, a roundtable discussion with elected representatives, and a live satellite webcast featuring Hunter Lovins of the Rocky Mountain Institute and many others. For more info: http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html or call 415-405-0326.

* SFSU Focus the Nation Teach-in:  Jan. 30-31, Free.
Across the country over 1000 campuses will take part in the largest teach-in on climate change in U.S. history. Keynote speakers include environmental-justice advocate and green-jobs pioneer Van Jones of the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, Michael Glantz, senior researcher at the National Center for Atmospheric Research and American Indian ecologist Dennis Martinez. For SFSU information: http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html
For UC Berkeley information:  http://bie.berkeley.edu/ftn

* Chicago to Host 2008 National Green Party Convention: July 10-13, 2008
www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1601
____________________

NEWS

Federal Judge Rules Against S.F. on Healthcare Plan
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/27/BA5AU50F2.DTL&tsp=1

The Case for Kucinich
<http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=5231&catid=4&volume_id=317&issue_id=330&volume_num=42&issue_num=12>http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=5231&catid=4&volume_id=317&issue_id=330&volume_num=42&issue_num=12

Energy Bill Not Good Enough (Pelosi says it’s “real change”)
http://www.progressive.org/mag_wx121907

What Democrats Need is a Little Backbone
http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=5221#more

America to Congress: We're mad as hell and you're not listening!
http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/1480

For Crack Offenders, Earlier Shot At Release
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/11/AR2007121101655.html>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/11/AR2007121101655.html

Tom Hanks Tells Hollywood Whopper in “Charlie Wilson's War”
<http://www.alternet.org/story/71286/>http://www.alternet.org/story/71286/

BP’s Biggest Environmental Crime in History
http://environment.independent.co.uk/article3239364.ece

Chronicle Begins Attack on Affordable Housing Measure
http://www.beyondchron.org/articles/Chronicle_Begins_Attack_on_Affordable_Housing_Measure_5203.html

___________________

BECOME A SUSTAINER FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY!

The San Francisco Green Party is engaged in numerous financially intensive activities/events, including our
first-ever election newspaper with the SFGP's candidate and proposition endorsements for the recent
November election.  We distributed the paper to every registered Green in San Francisco, which set us back
thousands of dollars in mailing, production and printing costs.  Please help in our fundraising efforts by
becoming a Green Party sustainer, or making a one-time donation!

Your generous contributions now will help us finish the year on strong financial footing and get a jump-
start on the 2008 elections.  Please help us remain solvent by donating now!
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

FCC new rules will unleash a flood of media consolidation across America: Sign the open letter to Congress to Stop the FCC
<http://action.freepress.net/campaign/sbmopenletter>http://action.freepress.net/campaign/sbmopenletter

Green Candidates for 2008 Presidential Primary
<http://www.cagreens.org/elections/index.shtml#_prescand>http://www.cagreens.org/elections/index.shtml#_prescand

Keep the DEA Out of California
http://www.sanfranciscocannabisclubs.com/medical-marijuana/activism/california/articles/2007/keep-dea-out-of-california.htm