[SFGP] ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Apr 10 23:11:24 PDT 2008

ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY
Thursday, April 10, 2008

Send Announcement items to news at sfgreens.org.
Please keep items brief; submissions may be edited for length and content.

Green Party General Membership Meeting is held 7:30 p.m. every Third Wednesday of the Month
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th Streets)
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/
____________________

EVENTS (San Francisco, unless otherwise noted)

* Jim Hightower Swims Against the Current:  Thursday, April 10, 7 p.m., $10
Sebastopol Community Center, 390 Morris St., Sebastopol
Author, columnist and national radio commentator Jim Hightower will offer his unique perspective on current affairs and discuss his new book “Swim Against the Current: Even Dead Fish Can Go With the Flow.”  All proceeds to benefit the Project Censored Media research group.  For details, call 707-644-3160.

* Changing Climates: Class, Culture and Politics in an Era of Global Warming: Friday, April 11, 7 p.m.
Berkeley City College, 2050 Center St. (two blocks west of the Downtown Berkeley BART)
United States Vice Presidential candidate Matt Gonzalez is the keynote speaker at the 18th Annual California Studies Association Conference. http://californiastudiesassociation.berkeley.edu/conference

* Unions Speak Out for Single-Payer Health Care:  Saturday, April 12, 3 p.m., Free
ILWU Local-34 hall, 4 Berry St., near ATT ball park.
You are invited to a health-care meeting featuring two of the best organizers in the country:  Michael Lighty, Policy Director for the California Nurses Association; and Cindy Young, Senior Health Policy Advisor for the California School (plus others).  For more information, visit www.singlepayernow.net, call 415-695-7891 or email info at singlepayernow.net.

* WestSide Green Club: Sunday, April 13, 3-5 p.m.
Home of Barry Hermanson, 2467 28th Ave., between Taraval and Ulloa.  Call Barry at 664-7754 or Nancy Lewis at 661-5713 for more information.

* Green Party General Membership Meeting:  Wednesday, April 16, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
1028-A Howard St. (between 6th and 7th streets)
Agenda: http://sfgreenparty.org/events/events.gem

* Green Apple Earth Day in Golden Gate Park:  Sunday, April 20, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Join us for tabling at the Green Apple Earth Day event in Speedway Meadow in Golden Gate Park. We will be setting up about 10 a.m. and breaking down anywhere from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. If you can spend any time with us, that would be wonderful. Just show up (look for the big SF Green Party Banner), or contact Sue at (415) 601-9297. http://sfgreenparty.org/events/events.gem

* Kick-Off Party for Mark Sanchez for Supervisor: Sunday April 20, 4­7 p.m.
Medjool Restaurant on the Sky Terrace, Mission Street near 22nd Street
Medjool is near 24th Street BART and on MUNI lines 14 Mission and 49 South Van Ness.
Mark Sanchez, a long-time teacher in San Francisco, founded Teachers for Change and Teachers for Social Justice before becoming the first Green Party member and the second openly-gay Commissioner elected to the Board of Education in 2000. He has made us proud as President of the Board, and we look forward to seeing more great things in a role as Supervisor. He is off to a good start as the first candidate to qualify for public financing matching funds, and we are confident that he can win if we all do our part to support the campaign!  Families welcome; wheelchair accessible - take the elevator to the rooftop! Join us for food, drink and entertainment as we kick-off the campaign to elect Mark Sanchez to the Board of Supervisors for District 9!

* Second Global Greens Congress in Paulo Brazil: May 1-4
http://www.globalgreens.org/index.php

* Chicago to Host 2008 National Green Party Convention: July 10-13
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1601
_____________________

NEWS

Mayor Newsom Turned an Exercise in Free Speech Into a Propaganda Photo-op for China: Tell Hiz DisHonor to Apologize
http://us.f833.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=c07pe91csg3db

Olympic Torch Journey Descends Into Farce
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/10/olympicgames2008.china

China Uses Heavy Hand Even With Its Gadflies
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/08/AR2008040803274.html?wpisrc=newsletter

Memo: Laws Doesn't Apply to Interrogators, Says Cal State Law Professor
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/01/AR2008040102213.html
http://www.alternet.org/rights/81905/

Administration Asserts No Fourth Amendment for Domestic Military Operations
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/04/administration-asserts-no-fourth-amendment-domestic-military-operations

Obama and Hillary Spin a 'Big Lie' About Iraq
http://www.alternet.org/election08/81251/

The Mythology of Boomers Bankrupting Our Healthcare System
http://www.alternet.org/stories/81142/

Green Party Nominee Rallies to Reduce Military Spending
http://www.examiner.com/a-1315489~Green_Party_nominee_rallies_to_reduce_military_spending.html

Blackwater's Lethal Contract Renewed
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/video/#81614

Candidates Main Target: Jackie Speier
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=89943

Olympic Torch Relay Cut Short Amid Paris Protests
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/07/france.olympicgames2008

New Clashes in China on Eve of Torch's Arrival in UK
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/04/china.tibet

More Local Churches Signing on to Community Supported Agriculture Program
http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.cms.support.viewStory.cls?cid=89511&sid=4&fid=1

Stop Loss: Patriotic Bluster Dressed up As a Protest Movie
http://www.alternet.org/movies/81161/

Edits to Gay Soldier’s Wikipedia Entry Traced to Pentagon
http://washingtonblade.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm?blog_id=17515

Speier wins House seat
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/localnews/ci_8861453

Software for Keeping ISPs Honest
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/03/keeping-isps-honest

Jeremy Scahill Confronts BlackWater Honchos
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/waroniraq/81733/