[SFGP] ANNOUNCEMENT LIST -- Final

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Apr 17 22:58:55 PDT 2008

ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY
Thursday, April 17, 2008

Send Announcement items to news at sfgreens.org.
Please keep items brief; submissions may be edited for length and content.

Green Party General Membership Meeting is held 7:30 p.m. every Third Wednesday of the Month
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th Streets)
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/
____________________

SAVE THE DATE THIS SUNDAY

Kick-Off Party for Mark Sanchez for Supervisor: Sunday April 20, 4­-7 p.m.
Medjool Restaurant on the Sky Terrace, Mission Street near 22nd Street
(See details below)

____________________

EVENTS (San Francisco, unless otherwise noted)

* GREEN JUSTICE: Friday, April 18, 9 a.m.–6 p.m.
UC Berkeley School of Law, Boalt Hall, Piedmont Avenue and Bancroft Way, Berkeley
The 4th Annual Environmental Justice Symposium presents from Protection to Empowerment: Policy Solutions to Ensure Equal Access to The Green Economy looks at means to empower communities that have traditionally been victims of environmental injustice. For more information, please call 510-642-0457. els.boalt.org/symposium.htm

* Benefit Party Like A Walk Star - Sole to Soul for WalkSF: Friday, April 18, 6-10 p.m.
David Baker + Partners Office, 461 2nd St., Loft C127
This year's annual DB+P fundraiser, Sole to Soul, is putting some spring in the step of WalkSF, your local pedestrian advocates. Come Friday for fine snacks and drinks, music and friends, a silent art auction and a chance to help make walking around your town fun and safe. You can skip the line and make your door donation right now. WalkSF is offering a $250 Sports Basement gift certificate as a raffle prize to those people who sign up online before the event! If you would like to volunteer, please contact susan at walksf.org .

* Awakening The Dreamer:  Sunday, April 20, 1- 4:30 p.m.
New Spirit Community Church, 1798 Scenic Ave., Berkeley
The afternoon features video presentations from Desmond Tutu, Julia Butterfly Hill, Paul Hawken, Van Jones and more, exploring what life would be like in a sustainable, spirit-filled, socially just world.  For more information please call 510-665-6066. www.awakeningthedreamer.org

* Green Apple Earth Day in Golden Gate Park:  Sunday, April 20, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Join us for tabling at the Green Apple Earth Day event in Speedway Meadow in Golden Gate Park. We will be setting up about 10 a.m. and breaking down anywhere from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. If you can spend any time with us, that would be wonderful. Just show up (look for the big SF Green Party Banner), or contact Sue at (415) 601-9297. http://sfgreenparty.org/events/events.gem

* Kick-Off Party for Mark Sanchez for Supervisor: Sunday April 20, 4­-7 p.m.
Medjool Restaurant on the Sky Terrace, Mission Street near 22nd Street
Medjool is near 24th Street BART and on MUNI lines 14 Mission and 49 South Van Ness.
Mark Sanchez, a long-time teacher in San Francisco, founded Teachers for Change and Teachers for Social Justice before becoming the first Green Party member and the second openly-gay Commissioner elected to the Board of Education in 2000. He has made us proud as President of the Board, and we look forward to seeing more great things in a role as Supervisor. He is off to a good start as the first candidate to qualify for public financing matching funds, and we are confident that he can win if we all do our part to support the campaign!  Families welcome; wheelchair accessible - take the elevator to the rooftop! Join us for food, drink and entertainment as we kick-off the campaign to elect Mark Sanchez to the Board of Supervisors for District 9!  http://www.marksanchez.org/

* Joint Meeting: Transportation & Sustainability Working Groups: Thursday, April 24, 6:30-9:00 p.m.
SFGP Office, 1028A Howard St.
This will be a very important meeting because the final committee hearing on the polluting Cumbustion Turbine power-plant proposal for Bayview Hunters Point will be considered at City Hall within 2 weeks, and we need to organize a large crowd to attend that hearing to demand a halt to the power plant project.

* Chicago to Host 2008 National Green Party Convention: July 10-13
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1601
_____________________

NEWS

Absent Comcast In Hot Seat At FCC Hearing
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9921945-7.html?tag=blog.1

Matt Gonzalez on Democracy Now!
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/4/17/naders_running_mate_matt_gonzalez_on

No on Prop 98: Defend California Renters from Greedy Landlords
http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpress/2008/04/17/no-on-prop-98/

Supreme Court Brings Back the Death Penalty
http://www.alternet.org/rights/82600/
http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN1637219020080416

Newsom Set-Aside Resolution Headed for Showdown
http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpress/2008/04/16/newsom-set-aside-resolution
-headed-for-showdown/

Torturers in the White House
http://www.progressive.org/mag_rc041408

Bush Approved Meetings on Interrogation Techniques
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/11/AR2008041103653.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Collectors Cost IRS More Than They Raise
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/14/AR2008041402808.html

Comcast Blocking:  First the Internet ­ Now the Public
http://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/2008/02/25/comcast-blocking-first-the-internet-now-the-public

Bill Moyers Acceptance Speech for the Ridenhour Courage Prize
http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/81920

Amnesty Urges Olympic Host To Come Clean On Death Penalty
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/amnesty-urges-olympic-host-to-come-clean/n20080415101409990007

Area C Strikes Fear Into The Heart Of Palestinians As Homes Are Destroyed
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/15/israelandthepalestinians

Brokaw's Blind Spot on Vietnam
http://www.alternet.org/audits/82356/

The Daily Show Takes Down Fox News