[SFGP] Election Update: Green Party Initiative Endorsements and Candidate Forum

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Aug 29 13:09:49 PDT 2008

Hello Fellow Greens,

Round one of the endorsement process was completed Wednesday night, as the
San Francisco Green Party took a position on almost all state and local
ballot
initiatives.  These endorsement decisions may be found below at the end of
this
e-mail message.

Round two, our candidate forum, is coming up Wednesday, September 3 from 6 -
9 p.m.  This forum will include candidates for Supervisor, School Board,
College Board, State Senate, State Assembly and BART Board.  Deliberations on
candidate endorsements will immediately follow the forum.

Candidate questionnaires we receive will be posted on our website this
weekend.  Look for them under the "candidates and endorsements" link at
sfgreenparty.org.  Our endorsements on the propositions, along with longer explanations of
our decisions, will appear there as well.

The September 3 candidate forum will be held at the Green Party office,
located at 1028A Howard Street near 6th Street in San Francisco.

We encourage all of our members to join us for this public forum, and to get
involved in our exciting campaigns this election season!

The SFGP has already endorsed several local Green candidates, including Mark
Sanchez for District 9 Supervisor.  Join his campaign for phonebanking and
voter contact Monday through Friday from 5 - 9 p.m. at his campaign
headquarters, located at 988 Valencia Street near 21st Street.  Weekend precinct walks
are also taking
place.  Come to the campaign headquarters at 10:30 a.m. to join these
efforts.  For more information visit http://www.marksanchez.org/.

Please also make a donation to help fund our voter guide.  Mail checks to:
San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard Street
San Francisco, CA  94103

San Francisco Green Party Endorsements
Local Ballot Initiatives
A SF General Hospital Earthquake Safety Bond - YES
B Establishing Affordable Housing Fund - YES
C Prohibiting City Employees from Serving on Boards and Commissions - no
position
D Financing Pier 70 Waterfront District Development Plan - no position
E Changing the Number of Signatures Required to Recall City Officials - NO
F Holding All Scheduled City Elections Only in Even-numbered Years - NO
G Allowing Retirement System Credit for Unpaid Parental Leave - YES
H Clean Energy - YES
I Creating the Office of an Independent Rate Payer Advocate - NO (we get a
better advocate with Prop H)
J Creating a Historic Preservation Commission - decision deferred
K Decriminalization of Sex Work - YES
L Funding the Community Justice Center - NO
M Changing the Rent Ordinance to Prohibit Acts of Harassment of Tenants by
Landlords - YES
N Real Estate Transfer Tax - YES
O Replacing the Emergency Response Fee with an Access Line Tax and Revising
the Telephone Users Tax - YES
P Changing the Composition of the SF County Transportation Authority Board -
NO
Q Modifying the Payroll Expense Tax - YES
R Renaming the Oceanside Water Treatment Plant - no position (some of us
don't want George W. Bush's name on anything!)
S Policy Regarding Budget Set-Asides - NO
T: Free and Low-Cost Substance Abuse Treatment Programs - YES
U No More Funding for Iraq War - YES
V: Policy Against Terminating JROTC Programs in Public High Schools - NO

State Ballot Initiatives
1A High Speed Rail Bond - YES
2 Treatment of Farm Animals - YES
3 $2 Billion Children's Hosptial Bond - NO (no public money for private
hospitals!)
4 Parental Consent for Abortion - NO
5 Non-Violent Offenders Sentencing and Rehabilitation - YES
6 Anti-Gang Penalties/Runner Initiative - NO
7 Renewable Energy Requirements for Utilities - decision deferred
8 Same-Sex Marriage Ban - NO
9 Victims Rights - Reduction of Parole Hearings - NO
10 Alternative Fuel Vehicles & Renewable Energy Bond - NO
11 Redistricting - decision deferred
12 Veterans' Bond Act of 2008 - NO

Thank you for your continued support!
San Francisco Green Party