[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly Newsletter

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Jan 4 12:10:22 PST 2008

ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR SF GREEN PARTY

Send Announcement items to news at sfgreens.org.
Please keep items brief; submissions may be edited for length and content.
____________________

SPECIAL GREEN EVENTS:

* SF Green Party Special Endorsement Meeting: Monday, Jan. 7, 7 p.m.
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
Help determine our position on February ballot initiatives.

* Green Party Presidential Debate: Jan. 13, 2 p.m.
Herbst Theater, 401 Van Ness Avenue
Debating the issues of the day are the people whose names will appear on the
Green Party primary ballot in California: Jared Ball, Cynthia McKinney, Kent
Mesplay and Ralph Nader.
Volunteers are needed to make this exciting event great.  If you can help,
please contact Jim Dorenkott at jimdorenkott2 at yahoo.com.
A limited number of box seats are available for an additional donation.
Contact Jim if you are interested.
For more information about the debate, contact John Morton,
mailto:jlm108 at yahoo.com or visit http://www.acgreens.org/debate.
____________________

EVENTS (San Francisco, unless otherwise noted)

* SF Green Party Special Endorsement Meeting: Monday, Jan. 7, 7 p.m.
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
Help determine our position on February ballot initiatives.

* International day of protests to shut down Guantanamo and stop torture:
Friday, Jan. 8, 4 - 6 p.m.  There is a candlelight vigil and procession starting
at 7th and Mission Streets.
For more information visit http://www.actagainsttorture.org/events.html#Gitmo6
http://www.aclu.org/safefree/detention/closeguantanamo.html?rsc=kos

* Green Party Presidential Debate, Northern California: Jan. 13, 2 p.m.;
$10-$25 donation at the door (sliding scale)
Herbst Theater, 401 Van Ness Avenue (opposite City Hall)
Debating the issues of the day are the people whose names will appear on the
Green Party primary ballot in California: Jared Ball, Cynthia McKinney, Kent
Mesplay and Ralph Nader.
Volunteers are needed to make this exciting event great.  If you can help,
please contact Jim Dorenkott at jimdorenkott2 at yahoo.com.
A limited number of box seats are available for an additional donation.
Contact Jim if you are interested.
For more information about the debate, contact John Morton,
mailto:jlm108 at yahoo.com or visit http://www.acgreens.org/debate.

* Green Party General Membership Meeting:  Wednesday, Jan. 16, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/

* Reproductive Justice for All: Saturday, Jan. 19, 11 a.m.
We have the permit for Justin Herman Plaza, the same day 10,000 right wingers
from the far reaches of California slither into town for their annual “Walk
for LifeWest Coast.”  Let's give them a real Bay Area Welcome! We’re taking
back our public space from the Religious Right! We need you to join us in
sending the message that the Bay Area stands for reproductive rights, and that Roe
v. Wade must be defended and expanded, especially on this, the 35th anniversary
of Roe.  For more info, email BACORR at gmail.com.

* Conference on Global Warming:  Wednesday, Jan. 30, 9 am to 9 pm & Thursday,
Jan. 31, 9 am to 6 pm
SFSU, 1600 Holloway Ave, San Francisco, Jack Adams Hall
This free, two-day event features world class speakers, such as Van Jones,
expert panels, a roundtable discussion with elected representatives, and a live
satellite webcast featuring Hunter Lovins of the Rocky Mountain Institute and
many others. For more info: http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html or
call 415-405-0326.

* SFSU Focus the Nation Teach-in:  Jan. 30-31, Free.
Across the country over 1000 campuses will take part in the largest teach-in
on climate change in U.S. history. Keynote speakers include
environmental-justice advocate and green-jobs pioneer Van Jones of the Ella Baker Center for
Human Rights, Michael Glantz, senior researcher at the National Center for
Atmospheric Research and American Indian ecologist Dennis Martinez. For SFSU
information: http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html
For UC Berkeley information:  http://bie.berkeley.edu/ftn

* Chicago to Host 2008 National Green Party Convention: July 10-13, 2008
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1601
_____________________

APPLY FOR A SEAT ON THE GPUS NATIONAL COMMITTEE AS A CALIFORNIA DELEGATE OR
ALTERNATE

The Green Party of California is always looking for interested California
Greens to serve at the national level of the state party. The only strict
requirement is that you be a registered Green in California.  The next couple of
years should be a very exciting time in the Green Party at the national level, so
it will be a very interesting time, and a good
reason for YOUR input!!

We prefer those who have served in some capacity at the state and/or county
party level and will ask for a referral from a state or county representative,
if we're not familiar with your Green Party activity. We strongly encourage
those who self-identify as a minority, whether by region, gender, ethnicity,
race, sexual orientation, or disability.

California has 42 Delegate seats and 42 Alternate seats at present. We
anticipate at least 10 open seats for delegates and about 30 open seats for
alternates.  If current alternates wish to become delegates, they need to submit an
application as well. Several delegates and alternates will be needing to run for
reelection if they wish to continue with the delegation.  There will be
elections by the General Assembly at the GPCA Plenary in
Alameda County on March 22-23, 2008 to fill out those seats.

We need your bios/applications 60 days in advance for inclusion in the
plenary packets.  Get your applications in NOW to applications at cagreens.org.

LETTERS OF APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE GPCA Coordinating Committee
(GPCA-CC) by January 21 to be in compliance with our bylaws. An editable
application can be found at
http://www.cagreens.org/cc/co-cos/application_gpus_delegation.rtf

We apologize for the late notice...you have less than three weeks to apply.
We have been very busy organizing the Presidential Debate in San Francisco
on January 13.

BIOGRAPHIES MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE GPCA-CC by that date in order to be
forwarded to the counties, to be reviewed by the current delegation and to be
submitted as part of the Plenary Packet. You may also submit an optional
campaign statement.  The CC announcement of these openings and relevant by-laws
can be found at
http://www.cagreens.org/cc/co-cos/notice_gpus_delegation_2007.php

Please send your bio to the CA Delegation Co-chairs, as well. You can find
more information and a roster on the delegation's website
http://cagreens.org/delegates/ as well as job descriptions, relevant by-laws, etc., links to bios of
current delegates, etc. Feel free to contact the Co-Chairs with your
questions.

Being a GPCA delegate to the National Committee is a two year commitment.
Most of our business is done by email and at a monthly teleconference.  We also
have meetings at state plenaries, usually two-three times each year and we
have a major meeting at the GPUS Annual National Meeting each year.  It is hoped
that delegates can attend at least one if not both of the ANM that occur
during their two year term.

Note that the GPUS Annual National Meeting will be held in Chicago, IL  July
10-13.  All Greens are welcome to come as observers even if you are not a
delegate. <http://www.gpanc.org/>

And don't forget that if you are elected now, you will be part of the
delegation at the annual meeting that is part of the Presidential convention in 2008.
 However, being a delegate to the National Committee of GPUS is NOT the same
thing as being a delegate to the nominating convention, though many on the NC
delegation have also applied to be a nominating convention delegate.  The
procedure to become a nominating convention delegate is described on the
cagreens.org website.  There was a deadline of December 7, 2007, but there is a
possibility that more applications will be taken in January 2008, but approval to
accept those applications still needs to be established either by the GPCA CC or
by the General Assembly at our March plenary.

Thank you.  We look forward to hearing from you.

Sanda Everette - sanda at greens.org
Greg Jan - gregjan4 at yahoo.com
GPCA California Delegation to GPUS, Co-Chairs

___________________

BECOME A SUSTAINER FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY!

The San Francisco Green Party is engaged in numerous financially intensive
activities/events, including our first-ever election newspaper with the SFGP's
candidate and proposition endorsements for the recent November election.  We
distributed the paper to every registered Green in San Francisco, which set us
back thousands of dollars in mailing, production and printing costs.  Please
help in our fundraising efforts by becoming a Green Party sustainer, or making a
one-time donation!

Your generous contributions now will help us finish the year on strong
financial footing and get a jump-start on the 2008 elections.  Please help us remain
solvent by donating now!
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html%A0