[SFGP] ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR SF GREEN PARTY

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Jan 10 21:50:41 PST 2008

  ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR SF GREEN PARTY

  Send Announcement items to news at sfgreens.org.

  Please keep items brief; submissions may be edited for length and content.

  ____________________

  SPECIAL GREEN EVENT:

  * Green Party Presidential Debate: Jan. 13, 2 p.m., $10-$25 donation at the
  door (sliding scale)

  Herbst Theater, 401 Van Ness Ave.

  Debating the issues of the day are candidates running in the Green Party
  primary:  Jared Ball, Cynthia McKinney,
  Kent Mesplay and Ralph Nader.  Volunteers
  are needed to make this exciting event great.  If you can help, please
  contact Jim Dorenkott at jimdorenkott2 at yahoo.com.

  A limited number of box seats are available for an additional donation:
  Contact Jim if you are interested.

  For more information about the debate, contact John Morton at jlm108 at yahoo.com or visit http://www.acgreens.org/debate.

  ____________________

  EVENTS (San Francisco, unless otherwise noted)

  * International Day of Protests to Shutdown Guantanamo and
  Stop Torture:  Friday, Jan. 11, 4 - 6
  p.m.

  Candlelight vigil and procession starting at 7th and
  Mission streets.

  For more information, visit http://www.actagainsttorture.org/events.html#Gitmo6
  or http://www.aclu.org/safefree/detention/closeguantanamo.html?rsc=kos

  * Help the Green
  Party of California Plan for 2008:  Saturday,
  Jan. 12, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., $10

  First Presbyterian Church 1140 Cowper Street, Palo Alto

  All GPCA members are invited to a one-day meeting hosted
  by Standing Committee and Working Group coordinators to discuss planning for
  2008, including how different SC and WG projects can be coordinated in a
  presidential election year. Snacks and beverages provided.  For more information, visit http://www.cagreens.org/action/StrategyMeeting.20070112.shtml,
  or contact Michael Borenstein at thebor at jps.net
  or 530-620.6659.

  * Green Party Presidential Debate: Jan. 13, 2 p.m. (See
  Special Green Event listing above)

  Herbst Theater, 401 Van Ness Ave.

* Green Party General Membership Meeting:  Wednesday,
Jan. 16, 7:30-9:30 p.m.

1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets) http://www.sfgreenparty.org

Agenda Facilitators: John-Marc Chandonia and Christina
Olague

1. Introductions/explanation of consensus process

2. Health Care for All -- Steve Zeltzer (30 minutes)

3. DEA policy statement and draft resolution to give to Ross for introduction
to the Board of Supervisors; decision item (30 minutes)

4. Zoo -- Marc and Animal Advocacy Working Group (20 minutes)

5. Rent control/affordable housing discussion -- Christina Olague and possibly
Ted Gullicksen and other presenters (30 minutes)

6. Announcements:

- BACORR Pro-Choice Rally --
January 19 (see below)

- Working group lists are needed for active membership list

- Sustainer pitch

* 23rd Annual Western Workers Labor Heritage Festival:  Jan. 18-20

SEIU Local 1021/"Five to One" building, across street from 350 Kansas
St. (between 16th and 17th streets),

Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s contribution to the civil rights and
labor movements.  A weekend of solidarity
in an era of war, racism, and hard times.

For more information email Kendyll Stansbury at kendyll_s at yahoo.com, or visit www.docspopuli.org/WesternWorkers.html.

* Reproductive Justice for All:  Jan. 18-19

We have the permit for Justin Herman Plaza, the same day 10,000 right wingers
from the far reaches of California slither into town for their annual “Walk for LifeWest Coast.”  Now they're even expanding and having a march in the
East Bay on Friday Jan. 18. Let's give them a real Bay Area Welcome! We’re
taking back our public space from the Religious Right! We need you to join us
in sending the message that the Bay Area stands for reproductive rights, and
that Roe v. Wade must be defended and expanded, especially on this, the 35th
anniversary of Roe v Wade.  How does one keep up with a group of 10,000
right wingers who are here to waggle their fingers in our collective face?  Bikes are one option.  For more info, visit http://www.bacorr.org, http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/01/10/18471438.php,
or email BACORR at gmail.com.

* Conference on Global Warming:  Wednesday: Jan. 30, 9 am to 9 pm &
Thursday, Jan. 31, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.

SFSU, 1600 Holloway Ave., Jack Adams Hall

This free, two-day event features world-class speakers, such as Van Jones,
expert panels, a roundtable discussion with elected representatives and a live satellite webcast featuring Hunter Lovins of the Rocky Mountain Institute and
many others. For more info: http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html
or call 415-405-0326.

* SFSU Focus the Nation Teach-in:  Jan. 30-31

Across the country over 1000 campuses will take part in the largest teach-in on
climate change in U.S. history. Keynote speakers include environmental-justice advocate and green-jobs pioneer Van Jones of the Ella
Baker Center for Human Rights, Michael Glantz, senior researcher at the
National Center for Atmospheric Research and American Indian ecologist Dennis
Martinez. For SFSU information: http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html

For UC Berkeley information:  http://bie.berkeley.edu/ftn

* Chicago to Host 2008 National Green Party Convention: July
10-13, 2008
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1601

_____________________

NEWS

Why I Believe Bush
Must Go:  Nixon Was Bad, but These Guys
Are Worse -- by Former Presidential Candidate George McGovern

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/04/AR2008010404308.html

Maryland
Drops Out of Electoral College:  First
State to Pass the National Popular Vote Into Law

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3457/dropping_out_of_electoral_college/

Medical Cannabis Patients Seek Support of SF Mayor

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/12/18/18467772.php

The Inconvenient
Truth in the 2008 Election Campaign -- by Ellen Goodman

http://action.credomobile.com/commentary/2007/12/the_inconvenient_truth_in_the.html

Off-Guard Awards for the dumbest, lamest, most pitiful and
most bizarre moments of a year that's finally, finally over

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=5326&volume_id=317&issue_id=332&volume_num=42&issue_num=14&l=1

The Top 10 Comedic
News Stories of 2007

http://action.credomobile.com/commentary/2007/12/the_top_10_comedic_news_storie.html

_____________________

The Green Party of California is always looking for interested California
Greens to serve at the national level of the state party. The only strict requirement is that you be a registered Green in California.  The next
couple of years should be a very exciting time in the Green Party at the
national level, so it will be a very interesting time, and a good reason for YOUR input!

We prefer those who have served in some capacity at the state and/or county
party level and will ask for a referral from a state or county representative, if we're not familiar with your Green Party activity. We strongly encourage
those who self-identify as a minority, whether by region, gender, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, or disability.

California has 42 Delegate seats and 42 Alternate seats at present. We
anticipate at least 10 open seats for delegates and about 30 open seats for alternates.  If current alternates wish to become delegates, they need to
submit an application as well. Several delegates and alternates will be needing
to run for reelection if they wish to continue with the delegation.  There will be
elections by the General Assembly at the GPCA Plenary in Alameda County on
March 22-23, 2008 to fill out those seats.

Get your applications in NOW to applications at cagreens.org.  LETTERS OF APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY
THE GPCA Coordinating Committee (GPCA-CC) by Jan. 21 to be in compliance with
our bylaws. An editable application can be found at http://www.cagreens.org/cc/co-cos/application_gpus_delegation.rtf

We apologize for the late notice...you have less than three weeks to apply.  We have been very busy organizing the
Presidential Debate in San Francisco on January 13.

BIOGRAPHIES MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE GPCA-CC by that date in order to be forwarded
to the counties, to be reviewed by the current delegation and to be

submitted as part of the Plenary Packet. You may also submit an optional
campaign statement.  The CC announcement of these openings and relevant
by-laws can be found at http://www.cagreens.org/cc/co-cos/notice_gpus_delegation_2007.php

Please send your bio to the CA Delegation Co-chairs, as well. You can find more
information and a roster on the delegation's website http://cagreens.org/delegates/
as well as job descriptions, relevant by-laws, etc., links to bios of current
delegates, etc. Feel free to contact the Co-Chairs with your questions.

Being a GPCA delegate to the National Committee is a two year commitment.
Most of our business is done by email and at a monthly teleconference.
We also have meetings at a state plenary, usually two-three times each year, and we
have a major meeting at the GPUS Annual National Meeting each year.  It is
hoped that delegates can attend at least one, if not both, of the ANM that occur
during their two year term.

Note that the GPUS Annual National Meeting will be held in Chicago, IL, July
10-13.  All Greens are welcome to come as observers, even if you are not a
delegate. http://www.gpanc.org

And don't forget that if you are elected now, you will be part of the
delegation at the annual meeting that is part of the Presidential convention in
2008.

However, being a delegate to the National Committee of GPUS is NOT the same
thing as being a delegate to the nominating convention, though many on the NC delegation have also applied to be a nominating convention delegate.   The
procedure to become a nominating convention delegate is described on the cagreens.org website.
There was a deadline of December 7, 2007, but there is a possibility that more
applications will be taken in January 2008, but approval to accept those applications still needs to be established, either by the GPCA CC
or by the General Assembly at our March plenary.  Thank you.  We look forward to hearing
from you.

Sanda Everette - sanda at greens.org

Greg Jan - gregjan4 at yahoo.com

GPCA California Delegation to GPUS, Co-Chairs

___________________

BECOME A SUSTAINER FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY!

The San Francisco Green Party is engaged in numerous financially intensive
activities/events, including our first-ever election newspaper with the SFGP's candidate and proposition endorsements for the recent November election.
We distributed the paper to every registered Green in San Francisco, which set
us back thousands of dollars in mailing, production and printing costs.
Please help in our fundraising efforts by becoming a Green Party sustainer, or
making a

one-time donation!

Your generous contributions now will help us finish the year on strong
financial footing and get a jump-start on the 2008 elections.  Please help
us remain solvent by donating now!  http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

San Francisco Green Party Announcement List