[SFGP] ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR SF GREEN PARTY

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Jan 16 23:22:50 PST 2008

ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR SF GREEN PARTY

Send Announcement items to
news at sfgreens.org.

Please keep items brief; submissions may be edited for length and
content.

Herbst Theatre Hosts Debate Among Green Party Presidential Candidates;
Nader Debates Presidential Run

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=5431&catid=&volume_id=317&issue_id=335&volume_num=42&issue_num=16

KPFA’s Broadcast of the Green Party Presidential Debate, featuring Ralph
Nader, Cynthia McKinney, Jared Ball, Kent Mesplay, Kat Swift and Jesse
Johnson:  Moderated by Cindy Sheehan and Matt Gonzalez.

http://www.kpfa.org/archives/index.php?arch=24319

The Green Party General Membership Meeting is held every Third Wednesday
of the Month

1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th Streets)

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/

____________________

EVENTS (San Francisco, unless otherwise noted)

* 23rd Annual Western Workers Labor Heritage Festival:  Jan.
18-20

SEIU Local 1021/"Five to One" building, across street from 350
Kansas St. (between 16th and 17th streets)

Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s contribution to the civil rights
and labor movements.  A weekend of solidarity in an era of war,
racism, and hard times.  For more information email Kendyll
Stansbury at
kendyll_s at yahoo.com, or visit

www.docspopuli.org/WesternWorkers.html.

* Reproductive Justice for All:  Jan. 18-19.

Arrive no later than 10:30 a.m. Saturday to overwhelm the
bottom-dwellers.  We have the permit for Justin Herman Plaza, the
same day 10,000 right wingers from the far reaches of California slither
into town for their annual “Walk for LifeWest Coast.”  Now they're
even expanding and having a march in the East Bay on Friday Jan. 18.
Let's give them a real Bay Area Welcome! We’re taking back our public
space from the Religious Right! We need you to join us in sending the
message that the Bay Area stands for reproductive rights, and that Roe v.
Wade must be defended and expanded, especially on this, the 35th
anniversary of Roe v Wade.  How does one keep up with a group of
10,000 right wingers who are here to waggle their fingers in our
collective face?  Bikes are one option.  For more info, visit
http://www.bacorr.org,

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/01/10/18471438.php, or email
BACORR at gmail.com.

- SFGP Tabling at -7 p.m.rally in Justin Herman, Saturday, Jan. 19,
10 a.m.  If you can help, just show up or contact Sue at (415)
601-9297.

* Haight-Ashbury Neighborhood Peace Vigil:  Friday, Jan. 18, 6-8 p.m. (rain or shine)
Panhandle, Masonic between
Oak and Fell
Bring
candles and signs, or just show up. One issue focus--end the war in
Iraq.
Candles available. Cookies will be served. Information: richardivanhoe at sbcglobal.net;

* Bernal Heights Protest of U.S. Occupation of Iraq:  Friday, Jan. 18, 6-7 p.m.
Cortland Avenue & Andover Street
Bring
flashlight, candles and signs; For more information, contact Tom Gallagher at tgtgtgtgtg at aol.com

* SFSU Focus the Nation Teach-in:  Jan. 30-31

SFSU, 1600 Holloway Ave., Jack Adams Hall

Across the country over 1000 campuses will take part in the largest
teach-in on climate change in U.S. history. Keynote speakers include
environmental-justice advocate and green-jobs pioneer Van Jones of the
Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, Michael Glantz, senior researcher at
the National Center for Atmospheric Research and American Indian
ecologist Dennis Martinez. For SFSU information:

http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html

For UC Berkeley information:
http://bie.berkeley.edu/ftn

* California Presidential Primary:  Tuesday, Feb. 5, 7 a.m. to 8
p.m.

SF Department of Elections:

www.sfgov.org/site/elections_index.asp

* Chicago to Host 2008 National Green Party Convention: July 10-13, 2008

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1601

_____________________

NEWS

Herbst Theatre Hosts Debate Among Green Party Presidential Candidates;
Nader Debates Presidential Run

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=5431&catid=&volume_id=317&issue_id=335&volume_num=42&issue_num=16

KPFA’s Broadcast of the Green Party Presidential Debate, featuring Ralph
Nader, Cynthia McKinney, Jared Ball, Kent Mesplay, Kat Swift and Jesse
Johnson:  Moderated by Cindy Sheehan and Matt Gonzalez.

http://www.kpfa.org/archives/index.php?arch=24319

Green Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Writes About Costly SF Policing

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/07/EDP3U9L40.DTL&hw=Ross+mirkarimi&sn=002&sc=694

NJ Joins Maryland as Second State to Enter into a
Compact to Ensure Future Presidential Candidates Are Not Picked by an
Elite Minority, but by Popular Vote

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/13/AR2008011303600.html
;

www.nationalpopularvote.com
_____________________

The Green Party of California is always looking for interested California
Greens to serve at the national level of the state party. The only strict
requirement is that you be a registered Green in California.  The
next couple of years should be a very exciting time in the Green Party at
the national level, so it will be a very interesting time, and a good
reason for YOUR input!

We prefer those who have served in some capacity at the state and/or
county party level and will ask for a referral from a state or county
representative, if we're not familiar with your Green Party activity. We
strongly encourage those who self-identify as a minority, whether by
region, gender, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, or
disability.

California has 42 Delegate seats and 42 Alternate seats at present. We
anticipate at least 10 open seats for delegates and about 30 open seats
for alternates.  If current alternates wish to become delegates,
they need to submit an application as well. Several delegates and
alternates will be needing to run for reelection if they wish to continue
with the delegation.  There will be elections by the General
Assembly at the GPCA Plenary in Alameda County on March 22-23, 2008 to
fill out those seats.

Get your applications in NOW to
applications at cagreens.org
.  LETTERS OF APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE GPCA Coordinating
Committee (GPCA-CC) by Jan. 21 to be in compliance with our bylaws. An
editable application can be found at

http://www.cagreens.org/cc/co-cos/application_gpus_delegation.rtf

BIOGRAPHIES MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE GPCA-CC by that date in order to be
forwarded to the counties, to be reviewed by the current delegation and
to be submitted as part of the Plenary Packet. You may also submit an
optional campaign statement.  The CC announcement of these openings
and relevant by-laws can be found at

http://www.cagreens.org/cc/co-cos/notice_gpus_delegation_2007.php

Please send your bio to the CA Delegation Co-chairs, as well. You can
find more information and a roster on the delegation's website

http://cagreens.org/delegates/ as well as job descriptions, relevant
by-laws, etc., links to bios of current delegates, etc. Feel free to
contact the Co-Chairs with your questions.

Being a GPCA delegate to the National Committee is a two year
commitment.  Most of our business is done by email and at a monthly
teleconference.   We also have meetings at a state plenary,
usually two-three times each year, and we have a major meeting at the
GPUS Annual National Meeting each year.  It is hoped that delegates
can attend at least one, if not both, of the ANM that occur during their
two year term.

Note that the GPUS Annual National Meeting will be held in Chicago, IL,
July 10-13.  All Greens are welcome to come as observers, even if
you are not a delegate.
http://www.gpanc.org

And don't forget that if you are elected now, you will be part of the
delegation at the annual meeting that is part of the Presidential
convention in 2008. However, being a delegate to the National Committee
of GPUS is NOT the same thing as being a delegate to the nominating
convention, though many on the NC delegation have also applied to be a
nominating convention delegate.   The procedure to become a
nominating convention delegate is described on the
cagreens.org website.  Approval of applications still needs to be established, either by the GPCA CC or by
the General Assembly, at our March plenary.  Thank you.  We look
forward to hearing from you.

Sanda Everette -
sanda at greens.org

Greg Jan -
gregjan4 at yahoo.com

GPCA California Delegation to GPUS, Co-Chairs

___________________

BECOME A SUSTAINER FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY!

The San Francisco Green Party is engaged in numerous financially
intensive activities/events, including our first-ever election newspaper
with the SFGP's candidate and proposition endorsements for the recent
November election.  We distributed the paper to every registered
Green in San Francisco, which set us back thousands of dollars in
mailing, production and printing costs.   Please help in our
fundraising efforts by becoming a Green Party sustainer, or making a
one-time donation!

Your generous contributions now will help us finish the year on strong
financial footing and get a jump-start on the 2008 elections.
Please help us remain solvent by donating now!

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html