[SFGP] Greenzine: Proposition Endorsement Meeting Tonight

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Aug 28 09:09:09 PDT 2013

August 26, 2013

It's election season again!  Come hear about and decide our positions
on the propositions on our local ballot at our monthly meeting this
Wednesday Aug. 28th, 7-9pm and meet our very own Green Party Candidate
for Dist. 4 Supervisor (see below).  We will also invite some
candidates for local office to our September monthly meeting to
discuss issues with Green Party voters.

Save the date to hear Jill Stein speak in San Francisco on Monday Sep
16th, 6-9 pm (see below).

NEWS:

1. People are dying in the Prisoner Hunger Strike!  Pick up the phone
and call toll-free 855-468-2796 & demand that Gov. Brown negotiate
with the prisoners and prison officials to end solitary confinement
and other inhuman treatment.

2. Save Golden Gate Park! The lawyers on both sides presented their
cases at the Beach Chalet/CEQA trial last Friday. The judge is
deliberating on it and set another court date for September.
Questions?  Contact sfoceanedge at earthlink.net.

3. Save City College!  City College is open and accredited and we need
   your help to save the school for good. Here are some things you can
   do:
1) Get involved: To volunteer, please contact info at saveccsf.org
2) Join a Save CCSF Committee
3) Inform yourself: www.saveccsf.org has a lot of great information,
   as do SF Green Party and City College Facebook pages.
4) Sign up for text updates by texting "follow saveccsfnow" to 404042.

4. Fall election Nov. 5, 2013.  Only District 4 (the Sunset) will have
an election for Supervisor this year.  Also on the ballot are
candidates for the offices of City Attorney, Assessor-Recorder and
Treasurer - all are incumbents without any opposition.  There will
also be 4 ballot measures.  Come to our next two monthly meetings to
get more info and to have input into our endorsements!

AUGUST-SEPTEMBER EVENTS:

1. Green Party Monthly Meeting, Wed Aug 28, 7-9 pm, Location: El
   CafeTazo, 3087 16th St. near Valencia

Agenda:
  1) Eric Brooks - 5 min updates on CEQA and CleanPowerSF
  2) Eric - 10 min proposal to join anti-clearcutting campaign
  3) Endorsements - 1 hr - Local Propositions A, SF Employees
     Retirement Trust Fund, with speakers for and against A
  4) Barry Hermanson - 15+ minutes on organizing for this November & January
  5) Announcements - 10 min (new events plus report-back from prior
     events).  Green Party member Mike Murphy will announce his
     write-in candidacy for Dist. 4 Supervisor.

2. Wed. & Th. Aug. 28 & 29, noon-2pm. Here's an opportunity to stand
against the company that did the National Security Administration's
dirty work, right here in SF at the Moscone Center. Preserve the 4th
Amendment. Join in direct action to boycott CSC (Computer Science
Corporation), the company the NSA contracted to run its IT system and
spy on us.  CSC used its planes for the infamous CIA torture rendition
flights.  Read more at CSCsucks.com.

3. Monday September 2nd, 2 pm Closing day for SF Mime Troupe "Gas &
Oil". free.  Dolores Park. Live music starts at 1:30 pm. Donations
needed.

4. Occupy Labor Day Monday September 2nd, 10 am--all day in Bradley
Manning Plaza/Embarcaderro (aka Justin Herman Pl.) Potluck. Bring food
to share if you can. www.occupysf.org

5. Mon 9/16, 6-9 pm
   The SF Green Party & Occupy SF Forum present:
   2012 Green Party Presidential Candidate Jill Stein

Location: UNITE HERE Local 2 Action Room
  209 Golden Gate Ave @ Leavenworth
  near Civic Ctr BART

Free!  Donations to Occupy SF and SF Green Party are welcome.

Seats 150+, so invite anybody interested in building an alternative to
the 2-party system.

More info:
http://sfgreenparty.org/11-news/56-jill-stein-in-sf

6.  Wednesday, September 18th, the "eve" Obamacare insurance exchanges
open, 2012 Green Party Presidential Candidate and long-time single
payer advocate Dr. Jill Stein will speak at a fundraiser to support
her work and Single Payer Now.  Don Bechler from Single Payer Now will
introduce Dr. Stein and MC the evening. The fundraiser will be held at
the home of Barry Hermanson - 2467 28th Avernue from 7 to 8:30.

Several volunteers are needed to build this event.  Everyone else is
expected to make a donation of at least $25.  For more information,
call Barry at 415-664-7754

The Green Party of California is seeking independent contractors
for a variety of positions: fundraiser, organizer, and press
secretary. To get more details, or to apply, see their web page:
http://www.cagreens.org/

Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/Volunteer Coordinator
(a part time independent contractor (1099) position):
http://sfgreenparty.org/help-wanted