[SFGP] Greenzine: SF Green Party News & Events

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Jun 19 15:53:51 PDT 2013

June 19, 2013

NEWS:

1. SF Ocean Edge and the Green Party have been fighting the proposed
artificial turf soccer fields and 150,000 watts of night lighting
proposed for the Beach Chalet fields in the western end of Golden Gate
Park, next to Ocean Beach.  We have been unable to convince officials
to see "green" on this, and so the project has been approved.
However, in San Francisco it is never too late to change the course of
history!  SF Ocean Edge is going to move ahead with various outreach
efforts.  They ask that you send them your ideas for what to do next!
Since there are no more 'official' hearings, we can focus on direct
citizen activism.  Send serious ideas, fun ideas, creative ideas, even
bizarre ideas (after all, this is San Francisco, and it is expected
that we be a bit, well, different.)

WHAT: Ideas for outreach, events, media, whatever!
WHEN: Any time, night or day, but try to get those ideas in soon!
  Time is running short!
WHY:  Creativity can win the day -- go for it!
SEND TO: sfoceanedge at earthlink.net and cc at sfgreens.org
LEARN MORE AT: www.sfoceanedge.org

2. URGENT: ANTI-SUNSHINE PROPOSALS IN CALIFORNIA DRAFT BUDGET:
Call/fax/email/snail:Sen.Mark Leno to oppose anti-sunshine
proposals.Sacramento:(916) 651-4011 Fax:(916) 445-4722
senator.leno at senate.ca.gov; State Capitol,Rm 5100,95814.  SF:(415)
557-1300 Fax:(415) 557-1252;455 Golden Gate Av.Ste.  14800, SF 94102.

Gov. Brown proposes to (1) impose fees for access to court records and
(2) halt reimbursements to local governments cities, counties, school
and community college districts etc.) for expenses incurred in
complying with state public- records laws.  These proposals fly in the
face of California Constitution Article I, Section 3, which enshrines
into the supreme law of the state the people's right to know what
their governments are doing and why.That section was added when voters
passed Proposition 59 by an 83% to 17% margin in Nov.2004!!!

Budget is before an eight-member Senate-Assembly conference committee
& Legislature must adopt a budget by June 15, or members'pay docked
for every day they go beyond the deadline.  Please spread the word on
this ASAP.  Richard Knee, Green Party member and freelance journalist

3. Stay connected to City College SF: savecitycollegesf.org
Accreditation Committee won't announce decisions to close it until
July. Careful records were kept of this process and an official
complaint about the accreditation agency sent to the Depart. of Ed. At
280 pages long, the allegations are serious.

JUNE/JULY EVENTS:

1. Wed. June 19, 7pm Film Showing "Assata: Eyes on the Rainbow" 2969
Mission St. btwn 25th and 26th, SF near 24th St. BART, #14, 49 MUNI
Come learn the truth about Assata Shakur's story. "Eyes on the
Rainbow" portrays the life of Assata Shakur, the Black liberation
leader who escaped from unjust imprisonmentin the US to Cuba 29
yrs. ago. Sponsored by ANSWER 415-821-6545.  www.sfgreenparty.org

2. Wednesday June 19, 7:30 pm SF Green Party County Council meets @ El
Cafetazo in the back, 3087 16th St. near Valencia.  1+ block walk from
16th St./Mission BART. Discuss Beach Chalet soccer mess; upcoming
Calif. State Green Party General Assembly this weekend. Plans for SFGP
booth at the Gay Pride event.  To get an issue on the agenda:
cc at sfgreens.org more info: www.sfgreenparty.org

3. Nurses, environmentalists and other community members will be
marching across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco on June
20. We're sending Wall Street and leaders in Washington, DC a message:
Stop the Keystone XL pipeline! Stop austerity.  Thursday, June 20th
Rally: Noon Location: Battery East off Lincoln Boulevard near the
Golden Gate Bridge Pavilion

Go to our website to see a map of where to go:
http://nationalnursesunited.org/StopKeystoneXL

After the rally, we'll march across the Golden Gate Bridge.

4. Monday June 24. Practice Bradley Manning Flash mob Dance/SF
Pride. 7:45pm - 9:30pm, Hellman room @ ODC 2nd flr. 302 Shotwell @
17th St, SF. Perform Michael Jackson's "They Don't Care About Us" in
SF Pride, and flashmob it at various open spaces until Bradley can
come dance with us.

All info: http://tinyurl.com/mobbrad
Promo video: http://vimeo.com/67875827
For practicing: Full-speed (skip Drill, press 3)
http://youtu.be/0B1yMhpfBoQ?t=1m13s
Instructional breakdown: http://youtu.be/jeaICotBAUc

5. Saturday/Sunday June 22nd & 23rd Green Party of California General
Assembly, Napa Women's Club, 218 Franklin St., Napa.  Registration $40
until 6/19; $45 at the door--includes light breakfast and
vegan/vegetarian lunch each day.  Agenda: www.cagreens.org

6. Wednesday June 26, 7-9pm All Green Party Member monthly meeting at
El Cafetazo, 3087 16th St. near Valencia and 16th St.  Mission
BART. Come review the great success at the Haight St.  Fair and plan
for even more success at upcoming events like Gay Pride
weekend. www.sfgreenparty.org

7. Saturday/Sunday June 29th & 30th -- Gay Pride: "Embrace, Encourage,
Empower". Join SFGP at our booth--help needed all day and to set up
Sat. am and take down Sun. pm; location TBA. Contact cc at sfgreens.org
to sign up for your time slot(s). SFGP has endorsed Bradley Manning as
Grand Marshal!  Sunday Pride Parade begins 10:30 am at Market &
Beale;then to Market & 8th St.  Pride events include the best of local
musical talent & cultural performances in and around Civic Center. 24
stages! www.sfpride.org

8. Sunday Streets July 7th 11am-4pm in Golden Gate Park and the Great
Highway. SF Green Party tabling! Volunteer to help: cc at sfgreens.org

The Green Party of California is seeking independent contractors
for a variety of positions: fundraiser, organizer, and press
secretary. To get more details, or to apply, see their web page:
http://www.cagreens.org/

Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/Volunteer Coordinator
(a part time independent contractor (1099) position):
http://sfgreenparty.org/help-wanted