[SFGP] Greenzine: Haight St, help save Golden Gate Park and raise Min Wage

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sat Jun 7 10:33:20 PDT 2014

June 7

     After the election, we're working on raising the minimum wage in
SF to $15/hour, and preventing toxic tire-based astroturf soccer
fields from being built in Golden Gate Park.  We'll be gathering
signatures to put both initiatives on the November ballot, at SF
events this June.  We need more volunteers!  Thanks to those who have
helped us out so far.  If you can help, email cc at sfgreens.org.

This Sunday (June 8), we'll be doing voter outreach at two events:

* We'll set up a table at Sunday Streets near the intersection of
  Lincoln and the Great Highway (very close to the proposed
  astroturf), from 11-4.  More info on Sunday Streets is here:
  http://www.sundaystreetssf.com/great-highway-6814/

* We'll also have a booth at the Haight Street Fair, from 11-5, to
  build the Green Party, raise money, and collect signatures for both
  initiatives.  Our booth will be on the south side of Haight St near
  Cole.  More info on the event is here:
  http://www.haightashburystreetfair.org/

*===========================*

Save our Post Offices/Jobs--protest Staples/Van Ness in SF
June 8, from 5-7 pm

Stop the Privatization of our Post Office!
Get post cards signed to mail in to boycott Staples until they remove
their Post Office counters paying min. wage.
Sponsor: First They Came For the Homeless

*===========================*

June Election Analysis:

The bad news is that (as anticipated), the "Top Two" primary means our
statewide Green candidates will not be allowed in the November
election.  As discussed in this Chronicle article, "Top Two" adds
more barriers to political expression, and could mean the end of all
political parties in California other than the corporate Democrats and
Republicans:

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Top-two-primary-elections-spell-end-for-many-5504314.php

But there were some bright spots in this Tuesday's results:

* In SF, Prop B won in a landslide, and local Green-endorsed
  candidates David Campos and Daniel Flores are in good position for
  November's election (Flores came in 1st, Campos a close 2nd).

* Props 41 and 42, which SF Greens endorsed, both won statewide.

* In Mendocino, Green Party Supervisor Dan Hamburg was re-elected:
  http://www.cagreens.org/news/hamburg-re-elected-mendocino-county-supervisor

* Ellen Brown, our candidate for Treasurer, broke a state Green Party
  election record, with over 6% of the vote in a statewide partisan
  race.  In SF, she received nearly 11% of the vote, and in Mendocino,
  she received 15%.

* Luis Rodriguez, our candidate for Governor, did very well in SF,
  beating Republican Neel Kashkari!  Unfortunately, Neel, rather than
  Luis, will go on to challenge Jerry Brown this November.

* Jena Goodman, our candidate for Lt Gov, came in 2nd place in SF,
  beating several Democrats and Republicans, but losing to Newsom.

This November, we'll be focused on local elections, with several
important ballot initatives and several Greens potentially running for
local office!  If you want to run as a Green, contact us at
cc at sfgreens.org.

*===========================*

Pride Weekend June 28-29: Save the dates!

Join the SF Green Party at our booth 10-6 pm June 28 & 29 for the
annual Pride Celebration. Booth located on Larkin St. near Grove;
between Grove and Market St. We need volunteers for the event!
Register voters, educate, grow the Green Party, and raise
money. Please add hours you can help here: cc at sfgreens.org
On Sunday, we'll march with the Chelsea Manning contingent.

Take a break from the Pride celebration to attend a forum on
"MTA Muni Workers, Union Busting and the Right To Strike," at
the Main Library on June 28 at 1:30 pm.

More info is on our events calendar:
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events2

Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/Volunteer Coordinator
(a part time independent contractor (1099) position):

http://sfgreenparty.org/help-wanted