[SFGP] Greenzine: events and post-election analysis

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Nov 13 11:24:58 PST 2015

November 13

    With just a few hundred ballots left to be counted, the results of
this November's election are in:
http://www.sfelections.org/results/20151103/

    Our Mayoral candidate, Francisco Herrera, finished second with 15%
of the vote.  Amy Weiss, who received our #2 endorsement for Mayor,
finished 3rd.  Taking ranked choice votes into account, Francisco was
favored over Mayor Lee by 1 of every 3 voters, and his campaign spent
less money per vote than all other candidates on the ballot.  This is
our strongest Mayoral showing since 2003, when Matt Gonzalez won 47%
of the vote against Gavin Newsom.

    We'll be analyzing the results of this election in detail at our
meeting next Wednesday evening.  We'll also be planning for how we
might build a SF Progressive Alliance modeled on Richmond's.  See
below for meeting details.

*===========================*

For those of you who are KPFA members, this is a reminder that the SF
Green Party has endorsed the United for Community Radio slate of
candidates for the station board.  Voting in the board election runs
through early December.

http://www.unitedforcommunityradio.org/

*===========================*

What: Green Festival
When: November 13-15
Where: Cow Palace, 2600 Geneva Ave, Daly City

The Green Festival is a commercial event that was originally organized
by Green Party members working at the nonprofit Global Exchange.  In
prior years when the Green Festival took place in South of Market, we
always did voter outreach from our booth on the street in front of the
entrance.  Many Greens will be attending this year's event at the Cow
Palace, and evaluating whether this location would be a good place to
do voter outreach next year.

http://greenfestivals.org/sf/san-francisco-2015

*===========================*

What: Discussion about Single Payer Healthcare in Colorado
When: Sat, November 14, 10 am-noon
Where: Alameda County Public Health Department, 1000 Broadway, Oakland

The San Francisco & East Bay branches of the California Chapter of
Physicians for a National Health Program are proud to present
journalist and health reform advocate T.R. Reid, well-known author of
"The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and
Fairer Health Care."

Reid will be speaking about ColoradoCare - a citizen's initiative to
provide affordable, high quality health care for all Colorado
residents going before voters of Colorado in November 2016.

Alameda County Public Health Department, 1000 Broadway, Oakland Fifth
Floor - Room 5000 A&B, 2 blocks from the 12th Street/Oakland City
Center BART station.  Parking available on the street or in nearby
structures, but not in the building.

$10 requested donation at the door to offset costs (or $20 if you'd
like to support the work of PNHP-CA).  Refreshments will be served.

*===========================*

What: Green Party Monthly Meeting and Election Analysis
When: Wed, November 18, 7-9 pm
Where: The Redstone Building, 2940 16th Street #302, SF

This month's meeting will be a week early, on the 3rd Wednesday
instead of the 4th.  We'll be analyzing the results of the election in
detail, and planning for how we might build a SF Progressive Alliance
modeled on Richmond's, starting next year.

In the last several elections, SF progressive groups have squandered
electoral opportunities by foolishly opposing each other in cases like
this year's College Board race, when discussions prior to making
endorsements might have cleared up misunderstandings.  Greens think we
need to follow the model of Richmond CA, in which Greens, progressive
Democrats, and other like-minded voters organized together in a solid,
long-term alliance well in advance of individual elections.  The
Richmond Progressive Alliance swept Chevron-backed candidates in 2014
elections, despite being vastly outspent.

Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/Volunteer Coordinator
(a part time independent contractor (1099) position):

http://sfgreenparty.org/help-wanted