[SFGP] Greenzine: questionnaires posted, candidate forum next Wednesday

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Mar 7 19:52:03 PST 2018

March 7

    Please join us for our candidate forum next week, on March 14
(details below).  We will consider endorsing candidates for Mayor and
D8 Supe following the forum.  Also, see below for info on Green
statewide candidates who are trying to raise funds for ballot access
before March 9.  We'll finish making ballot initiative endorsements at
our regular monthly meeting on March 28.

    Barry Hermanson, our candidate for Congress in D12, recently published
an article in the Bay View newspaper: "War, what is it good for?":
http://sfbayview.com/2018/03/war-what-is-it-good-for/

*===========================*

What:  Green Party Candidate Forum and Endorsement Meeting
Where:  Redstone Bldg (2940 16th Street, near South Van Ness) 2nd Floor Theater
When:  Wed, March 14, 6-9 pm

    We will host a candidate forum on Wednesday, March 14, from 6-9
pm--come ask questions to candidates running for Mayor and D8
Supervisor.  Our forum and endorsement meeting will take place in the
theater on the 2nd floor of the Redstone Building, located at 2940
16th Street (between Mission and South Van Ness, 1 block from 16th St
BART).  The event is open to the public and all are invited!  We will
ask questions from 6-8 pm and decide on our endorsements from 8-9 pm.

    Please read candidates' answers to our questionnaires in advance,
so we don't ask them questions they've already answered on the record.

    All their answers are posted on our website, here:
http://sfgreenparty.org/11-news/84-questionnaires-posted-for-3-14-candidate-forum

*===========================*

What:  International Women’s Strike actions
Where:  Civic Center Plaza in San Francisco & Civic Center Plaza in Berkeley
When:  Thurs, March 8, all day

As part of the International Women’s Strike movement, in the San
Francisco Bay Area we call for:

* 24 hours of action on March 8th

* 12pm/ lunch-time : Local Speak-Out/ Strike Action @ our local
  workplaces, schools, and neighborhoods to make our presence visible,
  wearing red, and being vocal about women and LGBTQI, immigrant and
  people of color rights, as well as those with disabilities

* 4.30pm to 6pm: REGIONAL RALLIES @ Civic Center Plaza in San
  Francisco & Civic Center Plaza in Berkeley.  We call on community
  organizations, local unions, both elected officials and rank and
  file workers, as well as labor councils to actively engage with this
  re-emerging independent, non-corporate, and grassroots women’s
  movement, for we believe our unions and working class women have
  been and should continue to be at the center of this struggle.

Hosts: IWS National Committee and March 8th/Bay Area for Reproductive Justice
Organizing Committee

Info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1538444519541901/

*===========================*

What:  Deadline to get Greens on the statewide ballot
Where:  donate online
When:  before Fri, March 9

    Because of California's "top two" primary system, Greens no longer
get to have our own primary.  All Greens running for office in the
June primary must turn in thousands of signatures, or pay exorbitant
fees, in order to appear on the ballot.

    We have not yet endorsed any statewide candidates.  However,
three Greens have contacted us to help raise funds for ballot access:

    Veronika Fimbres is an activist from SF who is running for Governor
and has been receiving great coverage in local media:
    http://ielightsf.com/2018/02/05/sunnyside-resident-veronika-fimbres-vying-to-be-first-african-american-transgender-california-governor/
    Her campaign website, where you can find a donation link, is
    http://www.veronikafimbres.com/

    Josh Jones is a former President of the Berniecrats of Yolo
County, who is also running for Governor.  He was a grassroots
organizer for Bernie Sanders' 2016 campaign, who then returned to the
Green Party after recognizing the corruption in the Democratic Party,
from the national, to the state, to the county level.  You can find
out more about him, as well as a donation link, on his website:
    http://www.josh4gov.org/

    Michael "Cal Songmaker" Ziesing is a lifelong leftist with over 50
years of experience fighting for freedom and justice.  His political
activity dates back to the 60s with his participation in the Vietnam
War Moratorium.  He organized anti-Klan rallies in Connecticut, wrote
books, published a small periodical, raised money to bring speakers
from Belfast in the North of Ireland for a speaking tour.  In 2011, he
participated in the Occupy movement in Redding, California.  Find out
more, and donate, here:
    https://www.crowdpac.com/campaigns/381370/michael-ziesing
    He also has a Facebook page here:
    https://www.facebook.com/ziesingforsenate

*===========================*

What:  Green Party Monthly Meeting
Where:  Redstone Bldg (2940 16th Street, near South Van Ness) #301, SF
When:  Wed, Mar 28, 7-9 pm

Tentative Agenda:

1) intros
2) Ballot measure endorsements; see list below with links to text.
3) Various State Green Party decisions (20 min) - Eric will present

Local:
Read all of them here:  http://sfgov.org/elections/measures
* Referenda: Repeal of Ordinance Banning the Sale of Flavored Tobacco Products
* Ordinance: Tax on Commercial Rents to Fund Child Care and Education
* Ordinance: Additional Gross Receipts Tax on Commercial Rents
* Charter Amendment: Appointed Board Members and Commissioners Seeking Elective
  Office
* Charter Amendment: Revenue Bonds for Public Utilities Commission Clean Power,
  Water, and Clean Water Facilities
* Charter Amendment: Term Limits for the Mayor and Members of the Board of
  Supervisors
* Charter Amendment: Automatic City Approval of Certain Housing Projects that
  Comply with Local Zoning

We have already endorsed:
  * Barry Hermanson for Congress, CD 12
  * YES on the eviction defense initiative
  * NO on the Taser initiative
  * YES on the parcel tax for teacher pay raises
  * NO on the relocation of sports teams policy initiative
  * YES on 68, clean water and parks bond (with bond reservations)
  * YES on 69, more money for public transit
  * NO on 70, Republican attack on clean energy funding
  * YES on 71, statewide ballot initiative changes
  * YES on 72, tax breaks for rainwater capture

We will make decisions on candidates at a special meeting on March 14
(6-9 pm in the 2nd floor theater at the Redstone Bldg); see details
above.

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome.  All meetings are wheelchair accessible.
To make a presentation or gain the SFGP endorsement of events and
issues, please contact our SFGP County Council at: cc at sfgreens.org