[SFGP] Greenzine: Happy Thanksgiving!

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Nov 28 15:09:10 PST 2019

November 28

mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    We'd like to share with you some Thanksgiving reflections by
the Green Party of Santa Clara:

  On the 50th anniversary of the occupation of Alcatraz by Indians of
  All Tribes, as we gather with friends and family to share a
  bountiful Thanksgiving meal, let us pause and think about the
  ongoing plight of Native Americans.  For many, Thanksgiving Day is a
  "National Day of Mourning."  It is a day that commemorates the
  nation-wide racial genocide that started when Europeans settled on,
  and stole, indigenous land.  Since then, tribal culture and religion
  have been under relentless attack and threatened by destructive
  fossil fuel extraction policies.  Indigenous leaders, in particular
  indigenous women, are on the front line of a global resistance
  movement against systemic oppression, pervasive sexual abuses, and
  racial and environmental injustice.  They are the fiercest advocates
  of a stronger and bolder Green New Deal.  Today, let's honor the
  contributions, cultures and resilience of our indigenous
  communities, especially the Ohlone People and their numerous tribes
  - such as the Amah-Mutsun Tribal Band - who still live on the
  Northern California Coast.

    This Sunday, join us at Barry Hermanson's organizing meeting for
his State Senate campaign.  Greens will also participate in some
Extinction Rebellion events in the week ahead!  Details are below:

*===========================*

What:  Barry Hermanson campaign organizing
Where:  Barry's house, 2467 28th Avenue, SF
When:  Sun, Dec 1, 2 pm

Volunteer help is needed to have a Green voice challenging Scott
Wiener and the Democratic Party!

Social media and web site help needed for Barry Hermanson, a San
Francisco Green Party candidate for State Senate.  Senator Scott
Wiener's SB 50 is a gift to developers and will lead to gentrification
of our neighborhoods and displacement of current residents.  Fight for
an Improved Medicare for All, treat climate change as if our houses
are on fire.

Contact Barry at Barry at BarryHermanson.org or 415-255-9494 for more info.

*===========================*

What:  Extinction Rebellion Event - Reject Fast Fashion
Where:  Westfield Mall, SF
When:  Fri, Nov 29, 11 am - 12:30 pm

Join XR Youth SF Bay for a fast fashion protest on November 29th.  On
Black Friday, we must remember that 12.8 million tons of clothing are
sent to landfills in the US every year.  The fashion industry's CO2
emissions are projected to increase by more than 60% to nearly 2.8
billion tons per year by 2030.

We'll sit-in outside the mall before slowly processing inside to hold
a die-in.

Who: You!  Us!  Anyone who is concerned about the environment and
their carbon footprint.

What to bring: protest signs (if you don't have them, we have some
extra), comfortable clothing.  Another option is to wear an outlandish
outfit to make fun of fast fashion!

*===========================*

What:  Extinction Rebellion Event - XR at the Opera
Where:  SF Opera House, 301 Van Ness Ave, SF
When:  Sat, Nov 30, 1:30 - 2 pm

Join Extinction Rebellion SF Bay as we perform XR's version of the
Evening Prayer from the opera Hansel and Gretel outside the Opera
House.  This event will take place between 1:30 PM and 2 PM, as the
opera is presented inside by the SF Opera.

Wells Fargo is the season sponsor of the SF Opera.  Wells Fargo is the
largest financier of the fracking industry, and the second-largest
financier of the fossil fuel industry in the world.  This year the
Royal Shakespeare Company in the UK is cutting its ties to their
sponsor, BP, after school children threatened a boycott.  A similar
outcome in San Francisco would be one small step in combating climate
chaos.

This is an open action (all are welcome!) and a festive way for
families to stand up to climate chaos together as we enter the holiday
season.  Email Lucy, lwbdarkdeep at protonmail.com, for more info about
how you can help!

*===========================*

What:  Extinction Rebellion Event - Youth-Led Climate Strike at Blackrock
Where:  BlackRock HQ: 400 Howard St, SF
When:  Fri, Dec 6, 10 am - 1 pm

The youth are leading us back to the streets!  On December 6th, Youth
vs. Apocalypse and other groups are organizing actions as part of the
next global climate strike.  In San Francisco, activists will occupy
BlackRock's SF headquarters, demanding that the corporation divest
from fossil fuels, the destruction of the Amazon Rainforest, and
private prisons that hold migrant youth and adults.  An Oakland
component of this action has been postponed until January.  Youth and
adults are both welcome to get involved.

More details here:
https://actionnetwork.org/events/bay-area-climate-strike-and-resilience-village

*===========================*

What:  Run for Green County Council
Where:  Department of Elections, City Hall
When:  Now through Dec 6

Are you interested in helping to lead the SF Green Party?  Any SF
Green can run for our County Council by picking up nomination papers
from the Department of Elections in City Hall.  This election isn't
until March 2020, but you only have until this Dec 6 to turn in your
paperwork with 20 signatures from registered Greens.  To qualify,
you must have been registered Green for at least 1 year.

What:  Green Party of California Plenary
Where:  Fresno, CA
When:  Dec 7-8

The Fresno General Assembly state meeting is happening in a couple
of weeks.  It's in Fresno on December 7-8; the agenda is shaping up;
and it's expected to be an engaging and worthwhile event, including a
Presidential Candidate Forum!

If you'd like to attend, please email us at cc at sfgreens.org.  We have
spots available for alternate delegates.