[SFGP] Greenzine - webinars today, campaign to end standardized tests

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Tue Jan 26 09:04:52 PST 2021

January 26, 2021

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    See below for a couple of interesting webinars happening today.

    With the news that the state of CA may start up standardized
testing at home this year for public school students (not COVID
testing, but weeks of corporate online tests - see
https://www.sfgreenparty.org/10-campaigns/79-opt-out-of-standardized-tests)
we're starting a working group to help campaign to stop it.  If you're
interested in joining us, please get in touch by emailing
cc at sfgreens.org.

*===========================*

What:  Climate Safe CA Webinar: What the Science Requires
When:  Tue, 1/26, 10 am
Where:  Zoom, see below for details

Join the first in a series of webinars hosted by The Climate Center. as they
introduce their “Climate-Safe California suite of policies.”
This introductory webinar will provide “an in-depth review of the current
science, . . . the urgent need for accelerated action [and] what targets for
greenhouse gas reductions the science supports.”

Speakers:

Ben Santer, atmospheric scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
(LLNL).

Ellie Cohen,  CEO of The Climate Center

Jason Barbose, senior policy manager, Western States at Union of Concerned
Scientists

WHEN

Tuesday, January 26, 10 – 11 AM

WHERE

Online, register here:
https://www.sunflower-alliance.org/climate-safe-webinar-what-the-science-requires-january-26/

*===========================*

What:  #RunForOffice (GPUS) Learn what to expect on the campaign trail
When:  Tue, 1/26, 6 pm
Where:  Facebook Live, see below for details

Make a difference in your community and #RunForOffice!  We'll
especially focus on local offices like town councilperson, county
commissioner, school board and more.  Do you have what it takes to
serve your community through elected office?

Hear from experienced Green Party campaigners about how to get started
and what to expect on the campaign trail.

Join us for this special Green Party Showcase on Facebook live.  Head
to gp.org/live on Tuesday, January 26th at 6 PM Pacific.  The
hour-long program will feature Franca Muller Paz (MD), Jake Tonkel
(CA), and Jessica Clayton (NJ).

*===========================*

What:  SF Green Party Organizing
When:  All the time
Where:  Online

Until the pandemic is under control, we will not be holding in-person
meetings.  Government will need to implement a widespread testing and
contact tracing program in order to safely open things up.

Unfortunately, a number of our active members do not have reliable
internet access (especially with our public libraries closed), so
holding general monthly meetings over Zoom is not an option.  Instead,
we have an email list for discussions between active members, and our
county council (CC) meets by Zoom on the 3rd Wednesdays of every
month.

If you'd like to join our conversation online, or our CC meetings,
please email cc at sfgreens.org with your name and contact info, and also
please remind us if you've been to a meeting before.  If you are
unable to join us but still want to follow what's going on, you can
call Barry Hermanson at 415-255-9494.