[SFGP] Greenzine - Vacant Homes Tax endorsed, kickoff tomorrow

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sat Feb 26 13:00:39 PST 2022

Feb 26, 2022

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    At our monthly meeting this past Wednesday, Greens endorsed
Supervisor Preston's Vacant Homes Tax.  It's a well thought out ballot
measure that will result in more homes being lived in rather than
being used solely as investment assets.  The measure was carefully
written to tax real estate speculators and avoid taxing homeowners
with legitimate reasons for vacancies (such as construction or waiting
for permits).

    Please join us tomorrow, Feb 27, at 12:30 pm for the signature
gathering kickoff.  We are joining with DSA and other groups to try to
put this tax measure on the November ballot by gathering signatures.
Details are in the event listing below.

    Also, we have turned in signatures to enable our statewide slate
of candidates to qualify for the June ballot.  The Green Party and the
Peace and Freedom Party are jointly fielding a "Left Unity Slate" for
the 2022 statewide races.  This cooperative strategy increases the
likelihood that both parties will be able to reach 2% of the vote in
at least one statewide race, which is the minimum threshold needed to
retain ballot status.  The slate has a new website where you can find
out more info about each candidate, and donate to them:
  https://leftunityslate.org

*===========================*

What:  Empty Homes Tax campaign signature gathering kickoff
Where:  Alamo Square Park, corner of Hayes and Scott St.
When:  Sun, Feb 27, 12:30 pm

40,000 homes, nearly 1 in 10 citywide, sit vacant and we know you agree
that it’s time to do something about it.  Our vacancy tax will provide the
city with 4,000 new homes within 2 years and will provide an estimated $38
million per year for affordable housing.  But before we qualify for the
November ballot we need to get nearly 9,000 signatures.

Please join us this Sunday February 27th, in Alamo Square Park at
12:30.  More info is at the links below:

https://www.facebook.com/EmptyHomesTax
https://www.fillemptyhomes.com/empty_homes_tax_kickoff

For those who want to read all the details of the ballot measure, a
PDF is on the Department of Elections website:
https://sfelections.sfgov.org/sites/default/files/20220207_ExciseTax.pdf