[SFGP] Greenzine: Eviction Party Feb 28, Green Voter Guide to March 2024

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sat Feb 24 13:20:08 PST 2024

February 24, 2024

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    After 10 years of meeting at the historic Redstone Labor Temple on
16th St, the investment group that bought the building two years ago
is kicking us (and other tenants who support social and economic
justice) out.

    Fortunately, we have some leads on a new affordable meeting space
nearby, and expect to make an announcemnt soon.  Please join us this
Wednesday, Feb 28, for our last meeting at the Redstone!  We'll be
having an eviction party and going through all of the items that we
store there to determine what to move and what to recycle.  See our
meeting announcement below.

    We have also published our complete Green Voter Guide to the
March 5, 2024 election in SF!  The complete text is below, along with
some volunteer opportunities for our endorsed campaigns and candidates.
The election is already underway, with early voting and vote by mail
happening all the way through Tues, March 5.  Please forward to any
SF voters who might be interested!

*===========================*

What:  Green Party monthly members' meeting, Redstone Eviction Party!
Where:  Redstone Bldg (2940 16th Street, near South Van Ness) #301, SF
When:  Wed, Feb 28, 7-9 pm

Please join us this Wednesday, Feb 28, for our LAST meeting at the
Redstone!  We'll be having an eviction party and going through all of
the items that we store there to determine what to move and what to
recycle.

Agenda:
* Introductions
* Report-backs on campaigns, and campaign updates
* Eviction Party - sort through our stuff and move some of it out

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome.  All meetings are wheelchair accessible.
To make a presentation or gain the SFGP endorsement of events and
issues, please contact our SFGP County Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

Mask policy: Masks are currently optional indoors, for both vaccinated
and non-vaccinated people.  We provide the option for SF Green Party
members and invited candidates to participate in our meetings via
Zoom, so email cc at sfgreens.org for info on how you can join us
virtually.

*===========================*

What:  Look in the Sky for NO on Prop E
When:  Sat, Feb 24, 5-6 pm

If you’re near Chinatown, the Mission, or Golden Gate Park this
Saturday, the No on E campaign, led by the civil liberties
organization EFF, needs your help. It’s easy: Just look up! Between 5
and 6pm, you might see an airplane flying an important message from
EFF.

Snap a picture of the plane and post it to social media. Tag @EFF and
@sfgreenparty, add your own message about why you’re voting #NOPE

See the Green Voter Guide below as well as:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2024/02/what-proposition-e-and-why-should-san-francisco-voters-oppose-it

*===========================*

What:  GET OUT THE VOTE with Retain Judge Begert 2024!
When:  Now through March 5

Greens have endorsed Judge Michael Begert for Superior Court
Judge, Seat 1.

GOTV Sign Up Form: https://bit.ly/gotvjudgebegert
(translated to English, Spanish and Chinese)

Please use the form above or email Vanessa Pimentel
<vanessa.pimentel26 at gmail.com> if you can volunteer for the
campaign.

*The Election Day Schedule for March 5th is as follows:*
5-8am: Early Morning Lit  Drop
8am-12pm: Phone bank, Visibility
12-4pm: Phone Bank, Visibility
4-8pm: Phone Bank, Visibility

If your members are not available on the 5th but want to get involved and
help Get Out the Vote, the campaign also needs help at these events:

*Saturday (3/02) at 10am*
Big Mega Mobilization at Rossi Playground

*Sunday (3/03) at 10am*
Big Mega Mobilization at Garfield Square Park

*Monday (3/04) from 5pm to 8 pm*
1155 Mission St

*===========================*

GREEN VOTER GUIDE for March 2024

These are the SF Green Party's final endorsements for the March 2024
election.  Our complete Green Voter Guide is now posted at:
https://www.sfgreenparty.org/endorsements/105-march-2024-endorsements

A copy of our voter guide text is below:

NO on CA Prop 1 (Behavioral Health Facilities Bond)

Prop 1 would amend 2004's Prop 63, the Mental Health Services Act.
Prop 63, which Greens strongly endorsed, enacted a 1% tax on income
above $1 million to pay for mental health services and programs.  Prop
1 would change the current law in three ways.  First, it would allow
the tax to be spent on substance abuse programs in addition to mental
health services.  Second, 30% of the tax would be required to be spent
on supportive housing for people needing services.  Finally, the state
would issue a $6.4 billion bond to build more facilities for mental
health care and substance abuse treatment, as well as supportive
housing.

Greens oppose Prop 1 for several reasons.  First, Governor Newsom has
a track record of supporting involuntary forced treatment for mental
health and substance abuse problems.  We have concerns that the
programs funded by Prop 1 will mainly be used for this purpose, rather
than for people who want to get treatment.  We believe that the
community-based programs that Prop 63 currently pays for are more
effective than institutionalization.

Second, Prop 63 revenues are currently distributed to each county to
fund local programs.  One of our 10 Key Values is "Decentralization" -
meaning that we support local elected officials prioritizing the needs
of their local community.  Prop 1 would mandate top-down changes to
local funding priorities.  Although the quality of services and
programs currently varies by county, we don't believe that state
mandates on how to spend funds will help.

Third, Prop 1 would authorize $6.3 billion in bond spending without
any requirement that the funds go to publicly owned projects like
public hospitals and public housing.  Instead, the money will be
sucked up by Democratic Party patronage networks and not help the
intended recipients.  Greens believe that bonds should be used almost
exclusively for public projects (see our Statement on Bond Funding,
below).

Finally, Prop 1 is too long and complex.  Instead of making hard
choices about funding priorities, Democrats in the state legislature
threw a huge bond together with changes to spending rules that will
benefit Democratic Party patronage networks.  Prop 1 was designed to
buy support from various special interest groups, but overall it's bad
public policy.

Please join SF Greens in voting NO.

NO on A ("Affordable" housing bond)

Prop A is a $300 million bond to pay for the construction,
acquisition, and repair of "affordable housing."  The vast majority of
the funding would subsidize private developers to build private
housing.  Only a fraction would actually be affordable to people who
currently live in SF.

Prop A is a re-run of 2019's Prop A, a $600 million bond to do the
same thing.  In 2019, we opposed Prop A and wrote in our Voter
Guide:

   Prop A pays private developers to build "affordable housing" at
   nearly the same price as it would cost to build new public or
   social housing ($600,000 - $700,000 per unit).

Housing bond money has traditionally been used by the Democratic Party
Machine to award contracts to politically connected developers and
nonprofits, including some of the worst developers in the City such as
the John Stewart Co
(https://sfbayview.com/2017/02/my-constitutional-and-tenants-rights-were-violated-in-john-stewart-co-s-subsidized-hud-housing-on-treasure-island/).
Mayor Breed has also withheld funding to punish her political
opponents, e.g., by refusing to move forward on development of
affordable housing in Supervisor Dean Preston's neighborhood
(https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/S-F-Supervisor-accuses-Mayor-Breed-of-17724203.php).

We also have concerns that the Mayor is not funding enough housing
development and acquisition using "Our City Our Home" funds.  Voters
passed Prop C in 2018, providing a $300 million per year revenue
stream, half of which is required to be spent on permanent housing.
Given the major problems with bond funding (see our Statement on
Bonds, below), we prefer funds for social housing come from corporate
taxes such as Our City Our Home.

Greens recommend a NO vote on Prop A.  We hope others will join us to
insist City resources be directed towards real public investments such
as social housing.

NO on B (more police)

Prop B would increase the minimum police staffing requirement in the
City Charter.  It would not directly increase the number of police
officers, but it would increase political pressure to spend even more
City funds on an ineffective police department.