[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Fwd: [gpca-forum] Endorsing Dems?!?!?

Adam Siegel apsiegel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 23:46:35 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I didn't realize that Yolo was the county being discussed in this thread --
would have appreciated Faygo approaching us directly, or at least
identifying us by name.

We've endorsed two local candidates in non-partisan races.  Both candidates
approached us, requesting our endorsement (we've been approached by other
local candidates, but have not endorsed).  Both, so I am told, are
registered Democrats (I didn't check because these are non-partisan races,
and it was their candidacies that appealed to us, not their voter
registration).  Both are running grassroots, individual donation
campaigns.  We know their campaigns and their supporters very well, and
they are solid people with good Green values.

We've endorsed a candidate for Davis City Council, Eric Gudz, because he's
running the most progressive campaign in a very crowded field. His main
campaign issue is the problem of affordable housing and ending low-income
housing precarity in Davis.  This is a huge issue here, as it is across
most of California, and we think having Eric elected to City Council would
be far better than not having Eric elected to City Council, at least as it
relates to moving beyond NIMBY/YIMBY/big developer projects to find
affordable housing solutions (hint: build social housing).  He's also a
labor activist, which is very important to our county party (my union also
endorsed him).

We've endorsed Dean Johansson for Yolo County District Attorney, because he
is challenging our three-term-incumbent DA, Jeff Reisig, who has one of the
worst records as a DA throughout California -- more felony charges per
capita than anywhere else in the state, more trials, and far more
acquittals in jury trials (41%, I believe).  In this particular
non-partisan race, party affiliation is spectacularly unimportant to us:
the immediate issue is putting an end to state violence, oppression of
communities of color, police violence, the carceral state, etc., at least
in the confines of our county, and supporting any candidate who credibly
vows to do that.

This is not a lesser-evilist position -- it's a bad/good position: the
incumbent, if re-elected, will continue to overcharge defendants, including
residents of neighboring counties (Sacramento and Solano) arrested in Yolo
County, will continue to tolerate or ignore police violence, will continue
to resist community oversight, and will continue to "profile" communities
of color (particularly in Woodland and West Sacramento), subjecting them to
punitive and disparate treatment within the criminal justice system.  His
challenger, Dean Johansson, has pledged to do the opposite of all of that.
My only regret in voting to endorse Dean is that I can't devote more time
to his campaign.  Those of you who know Cres Vellucci may want to ask him
about this race, as he's been covering it in our local media.

Our other local candidate endorsement in a partisan race is Eric Frame's
NPP bid for SD-06.  Statewide, we've endorsed Josh, Erik, and Gayle M.  All
endorsements were made by consensus at county meetings with more than 1% of
registered Yolo Greens in attendance.

In solidarity,

Adam
Yolo