[Sustain] [Fwd: RE: [Fwd: Compressed air car]]

David F david at fridley.net
Fri Jul 18 15:08:29 PDT 2008

Don,

The heat issue is with the compression and storage of the air itself, not
the operation of the motor. When a gas is compressed, it heats up, and
either this heat is retained in something like metal or molten salt, or it
has to be rejected to the atmosphere through heat exchanges, where its
usefulness is lost. If the heat is ejected (which is the only technically
feasible process we have now), then when the compressed gas is released, it
has to be heated up because gas that is decompressing gets much colder, and
motors or turbines can't take being frozen (you've probably seen frost at
the nozzle when you've used those small cans of compressed air for cleaning
electronics). So in the compressed air energy storage projects that exist
today (Iowa, Germany, Alabama), natural gas is used to heat the compressed
air up before it reaches the turbines. Even with the heating, the overall
process is more efficient than burning natural gas directly.

High pressure storage vessels are also a problem, since they have
catastrophic consequences when they fail and thus the engineering
requirements are severe. It's the storage vessels that make the cost of such
systems more expensive than batteries.

Underground storage in airtight caverns is best, and geologically, old salt
dome formations (such as the ones we use to store natural gas in) are very
suitable. They are very stable geologically.

It seems unless small scale adiabatic (that is, no heat loss) storage could
be figured out, the efficiency of a small system for power generation would
likely be very low. First the PV or wind would have to drive a compressor to
compress the air, the engineering of the pressure vessel would require some
dealing with heat ejection, then energy would be needed to heat the air up
again before driving a small motor to generate DC power, then pass through
an inverter to AC. Manufacturing of the compressor, pressure vessel and
motor entail environment impacts beyond the boundary of the compressed air
system, so to weigh the tradeoffs with batteries, this would have to be
considered as well.

Storage of intermittent energy sources is indeed going to be a major
challenge to bringing true renewables into play for a 24/7 economy.

David