[SFGP] Announcement List For The San Francisco Green Party

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Oct 24 00:16:33 PDT 2008

ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY
Friday, Oct. 24, 2008

Send Announcement items to news at sfgreens.org
Please keep items brief; submissions may be edited for length and content

Green Party General Membership Meetings are scheduled 7-9 p.m. every Fourth Wednesday of the Month
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
Meeting Minutes Archive: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/minutes.gem

SF Green Party Voter Guide
http://sfgreenparty.org/images/VoterGuide.pdf

EVENTS (San Francisco, unless otherwise noted)

* Yes on Prop K: Historic Town Hall Meeting, Thursday Oct. 30, 7-9 p.m.
First Unitarian Universalist Church, 1187 Franklin St.
Prop K would prioritize sex workers’ safety by calling on the police to vigorously enforce coercion, extortion, battery, rape and other violent crimes. Prop K calls for the decriminalization of prostitution following the recommendations of the path-breaking SF Task Force on Prostitution.  Info: 415-626-4114, sf at crossroadswomen.net, www.prostitutescollective.net, YesOnPropK.org.

* Neighborhood-Candidates Meet and Greet: Thursday, Oct. 30, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Shotwell Bar, 20th and Shotwell
Welcome our neighbors at our Inner Mission Bar and meet the candidates from your “hood” including Cindy Sheehan, U.S. Congress candidate, and Mark Sanchez, D9 Supervisor candidate. Come say hello, have a brew and chat in an intimate setting.

* Green Festival: Friday-Sunday, Nov. 14, 15, 16; several admission packages
Concourse Exhibition Center, 635 8th St. (415-490-5800)
A joint project of Global Exchange (http://www.globalexchange.org) and Co-op America (https://www.coopamerica.org), the Green Festival celebrates what's working in our communities for people, business and the environment. Here, green means safe, healthy communities and a strong local economy. Join us at the nation’s premier sustainability event, where you will see the best in green. Enjoy more than 125 authors, leaders and educators; great how-to workshops; cutting-edge films; fun activities for kids; organic beer and wine; delicious vegetarian cuisine and diverse live music.
http://www.greenfestivals.org/

_______________________

NEWS

Mormon Church Is Leading the Fight Against Gay Marriage in California
http://www.alternet.org/sex/103824/

Take Action: Urge Clemency for Troy Davis
http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/siteapps/advocacy/index.aspx?c=jhKPIXPCIoE&b=2590179&template=x.ascx&action=11330

Cynthia McKinney on NPR's "Talk of the Nation"
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95956631

Wasting a Vote for Lincoln's Radical Ideal
http://www.counterpunch.org/weitzel10212008.html

Amy Goodman First Journalist to Win “Alternative Nobel”
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2008/10/1/amy_goodman_first_journalist_to_win_alternative_nobel

More Than A Two-Person Race -- Corporate Media Ignore Other Presidential Candidates
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=3631

Why You Should Work Less
http://www.alternet.org/story/103777/
_______________________

Dear Fellow Greens:

While the other races in the City have received widespread attention, the race to replace Sup. Tom Ammiano in District 9 has gone relatively unnoticed.  We have a very good chance at electing another Green to the Board of Supervisors and, in turn, electing another Green to be President of the Board.  Mark Sanchez has proven that he can represent Green values at a citywide level and link them to respected policy and sound legislation.  This is the kind of leadership we need at a local level to grow the party and offer an alternative to the Democratic machine.

Mark needs a hard commitment from you to be out the last weekends of the election.  We are going to need energetic bodies in the streets to get Mark into office.  For volunteer information, visit: https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:23898.1429207178/rid:358af214b3cba611f0cebd8c6a08eaea

This is a critical time in the campaign, and Mark's campaign desperately needs your help to finance its last round of literature.  You can donate by calling 415.430.7091, or making a check out to "SANCHEZ '08" and sending it to:

SANCHEZ '08
988 Valencia St.
San Francisco, CA 94110

Checks are still being matched 1 to 1, and your donation of $50 becomes $100 through matching funds. Your donation of $500 (the limit for individual donations) becomes $1,000.  Please consider a donation today!  http://marksanchez.org

_______________________

VOTER GUIDE

The SF Green Party has put together a Voter Guide for the fall election!  We have put a lot of time and thought into our endorsements and would like to share our political analysis and ballot recommendations with Greens and allies citywide. We are currently raising funds to cover printing and mailing costs.

Check our endorsements here:
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/campaigns/campaigns.gem
http://sfgreenparty.org/images/VoterGuide.pdf

And then go here to make a donation (credit cards accepted):
http://sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Or you can make a check out to the "SF Green Party" and send it to:
San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103

We can also use your help! If you are interested in helping with any aspects of the Voter Guide, including ballot write-ups, distribution, or fundraising you can email the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org or call Razzu on his cell at 510-387-5796.

Green Party of California Update

Most Of You Know That A Team Of Us Have Been Working On A Green Party Documentary.  Well, This Pre-election Version Is Complete.  A Lot Of Time Was Put Into This Project, So Your Help In Spreading It Around Will Get It To The People.  Watch It, Subscribe To The YouTube Page, Make It A YouTube Favorite, Post It On Blogs. Email The Link To Friends, Post It On Your Websites, Post In On A Myspace Bulletin, Tell Your Friends About It. Alert The Media.  Do All of This Multiple Times.  Each Time It Will Catch More And More People.  Where You Can Find It: http://www.youtube.com/oaklandgreens.