[SFGP] Greenzine: Election discussion today, Green Organizing meeting 11/29

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sat Nov 19 10:58:04 PST 2016

November 19

    In the wake of Donald Trump's victory, the Gray Panthers and
other progressive groups have organized a roundtable discussion today
at USF.  Join former Green Party candidate for CA Secretary of State
Larry Shoup and other panelists this afternoon (see below).

    Jill Stein and Kshama Sawant both published insightful analysis of
the election and resisting the Trump agenda:
http://www.jill2016.com/resisttrump2
http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/11/18/we-cannot-give-trump-a-chance/

    Because our regularly scheduled meeting for November is the day
before Thanksgiving, we have postponed the meeting to the following
week.  Please join us on Tuesday, Nov 29, for a discussion of local
election results, and share your ideas for organizing in the new year
(details below).

*===========================*

What:  SF Post-election Political Roundtable
Where:  USF, Fromm Hall, Room 125
When:  Sat, 11/19, 1-4 pm

Please Come to a Post-Election Political Roundtable

Participants include:

* Laurence Shoup, author, Wall Street's Think Tank
* Peter Dale Scott, author, The American Deep State
* Stephen Zunes, author, Tinderbox
* David Talbot, founder, Salon Magazine
* Rebecca Gordon, author, American Nuremberg
* Peter Phillips, author, Project Censored

Saturday, November 19, 1-4 PM
University of San Francisco, Fromm Hall
Maraschi Room (#125)
2497 Golden Gate Ave (on Parker)
Muni lines 5, 21, 31, and 33
Free, Wheelchair accessible

Join the Gray Panthers of San Francisco and other groups for a
post-election roundtable discussion of power in the United States;
where it resides, who has it, and what it's likely to mean in the next
period.

The 2016 election has been called the most important election since
1932, but why? Looming issues range from the future of Social
Security, Medicare, and Medicaid and the influence of Peter Peterson,
former Chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations, to the developing
collision course with Russia and China, and the influence of the
Pentagon generals urging escalation in Syria.  What will be the role
of transnational finance and trade agreements?  At what point does a
covert police state become overt, and what are its implications for
domestic surveillance, militarized policing, and mass incarceration?

The Clinton defeat and Trump victory has come as a shock.  What forces
were at play among voters?  How serious a split does this represent
among ruling forces?

With analysts like these sitting at the same table, you can be sure
this will be an afternoon of important political discussion. Please
join us.

*===========================*

What:  Green Party monthly meeting
Where:  Redstone Building, 2940 16th Street #301 (near South Van Ness)
When:  Tues, 11/29, 7-9 pm  (NOTE DATE CHANGE!)

Agenda for this month:

Election analysis:  discussion of local Green-endorsed campaigns
and ballot propositions--which ones worked and which didn't?  Join
Francisco Herrera, our candidate for D11 Supervisor, and volunteers
from his campaign for a discussion of what we did well and what
we need to do better next time.

Post-election organizing:  how can we grow the Green Party next
year?  Discussion of neighborhood forums, ideas for meetings and
outreach, etc.  Bring your ideas!

Every 4th Wednesday (* except for holidays) the SF Green Party meets
to discuss issues of concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse
events, plan outreach and more!  Everyone welcome. To make a
presentation or gain the SFGP endorsement of events and issues, please
contact our SFGP County Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/Volunteer Coordinator
(a part time independent contractor (1099) position):

http://sfgreenparty.org/help-wanted